clock broken?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

On the Wagon WW res: I can't recall if my '83 Wagon needs one or if it only needs one of the pumps.
If you need it or part of it, let me know. I will test it and make sure it works and send it to you for your work with the clock. :)
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

After a week of running the clock with the Ign. switch in the Accy. position, the clock display remained dead. I did have to jump the battery, as it would barely turn the engine over.

Fired up the 'scope again, took 13 measurements where I'd recorded voltages and waveforms when it was working: all still the same. Hmmm.

Carefully thunked the two boards. No dice. Used more force, still no change, dead. Power cycled the unit, nope. Tapped on individual component leads, nada. Diagonally flexed PCB, nope. Pushed sideways on the two ICs, same deal.

With a grounded hand, brushed a finger across the lower IC's leads, bingo!

Looks like a case of old flux from the mfg process becoming somewhat conductive and damping a signal to either the display driver or more likely some reference ocsillator -- or whatever this IC does. That's today's guess.

Took the works to the sink, sprayed the boards with a strong defluxer, rinsed, compressed air dried, reconnected to the '83 Wagon, display remains stable. I'll let it run out there a few days and see what happens.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Nice work!

The washer bottle has been tested and deemed to be in good functioning condidtion. If you want it, it's yours.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I just took a look at my WW reservoir. It looks OK, though both pumps are completely toast. I could go with universal pumps, but . . . yeah, I'll take yours, sure. Ship it to the same address. No rush, of course.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

It's been 24 hours just now, and it's still running.

[Sunday]
Dead. Touched one of the suspect terminals, it fired up. Arrrgh!
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

On the theory that there's a loose terminal (well, I detailed at least two of them upthread) but the IC won't reset by remaking the connection w/o power cycling, I tried that method, and it worked: run clock until it dies, power cycle does not get a display, wiggle suspect connections and power cycle again, now have display.

So I did what I would have done first, had it come across my bench back when I was doing this kind of thing for profit: I resoldered everything in sight.

It ran Tues-Sat without dying, a record. I reconfig'd the harness connector back to the way it was as you sent it to me, and I'll ship it back to you, though you'll have to tell me which address to use (2505 or 10353? One address on your letter, another as the pkg's return addr.).

I'm fairly confident it won't give you any more problems. No, you don't owe me anything. Run it, and if it makes it a reasonable length of time w/o failing again, we'll call it a success.
Regards,
Al S.

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I should of done that instead of wasting several hours getting and retrofitting a honda accord clock
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Thanks Al!

The correct address is the 10353.

I will get that WW bottle in the mail soon.
83_maxima

Clock Update

Post by 83_maxima »

I finally got around to re-installing the clock Al fixed for me and no-workie. But, something I had not noticed before (bacause the dash face was on) is that the light that is integrated into the clock's harness does not work either. The clock no longer flashes 12:00 either.

Time control unit failure? We know the clock is good, so why no workie?
kassim503

Re: Clock Update

Post by kassim503 »

83_maxima wrote: Time control unit failure? We know the clock is good, so why no workie?
Try the big hammer :lol:

Epoxy in a clock from a early 90's civic or accord I forgot, then solder up all the wiring and have a adjust switch hidden under the dash like I did, the only regret is the clock is too dim to read when driving with the lights on during the day. Otherwise its worth your while, especially if you stare at the clock in rush hour traffic.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

kassim503 wrote:
83_maxima wrote: Time control unit failure? We know the clock is good, so why no workie?
Try the big hammer :lol:

Epoxy in a clock from a early 90's civic or accord I forgot, then solder up all the wiring and have a adjust switch hidden under the dash like I did, the only regret is the clock is too dim to read when driving with the lights on during the day. Otherwise its worth your while, especially if you stare at the clock in rush hour traffic.
But Al spent all kinds of time fixing this clock and we KNOW it works, so we need to find out why it does not work in THIS car...
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

83_maxima wrote: But Al spent all kinds of time fixing this clock and we KNOW it works, so we need to find out why it does not work in THIS car...
Try the bigger hammer :lol:

You are right, I remember reading about al's hard work put into the clock, and it should work. Did you turn off the extended storage switch? Try checking for voltage at the harness inside the dashboard, the FSM has details on what powers what. I remember one being for the timing control, that sends out a signal every second, and one being for the dimming for when the lights are on, and one for under normal operating situations.

Also try checking the fuse holder, for some reason I found something like 8 fuses in the fuse holder was loose. I think sombody tried tapping the harness through there, before I came along. Now all of them are loose :shock:

Mabye it broke in transit?

But if you do get it working you get the engine timer thats kinda interesting to use sometiems.

[Maxi related]
I found a ECU for my car, where do I ship yours back? I lost your adress

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Ben:

Print out this scan, then dbl-check that I put the wires back in your connector correctly.
Regards,
Al S.

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

kassim503 wrote: [Maxi related]
I found a ECU for my car, where do I ship yours back? I lost your adress
1836 S Downing St.
Denver, CO 80210
asavage wrote:Ben:

Print out this scan, then dbl-check that I put the wires back in your connector correctly.
Will do. I'll let you know what I find.
83_maxima

another clock update

Post by 83_maxima »

Driving my car the past few days, I have noticed that the clock DOES work...but it only works when the lights are on. Not intermittent, bright and steady, keeps accurate time, but will only display when the lights are on.

Any ideas? Switched terminals?