Leaking injector hoses

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

Leaking injector hoses

Post by kassim503 »

Well, I recently drove up here to buffalo, ny from my home location which is in stony brook, only a 600 mile drive, and 3 injector hoses started leaking. two of them are only enough to make it have a moist appearance around the injector, but one is pouring gas at a rate where it wets a 3 inch radius cicrcle on the manifold. now, i would not care about this problem and fix it like it isnt nothing, but I dont have a garage and im living in a apartment where there is a garage. Now, im willing to fix it in the garage with the hood up, and all the ppl staring at me, its just that I dont wanna take too long. I dont want too much of the "are you ok" or "what happened to your car" type of deal. can anybody give me a quick overrun of what i gotta do? I know it runs along the lines of loosening the bolts, disconnecting the wiring, yanking the injectors out, loosening the idler pulley, and removing the inlet and outlet lines. I was kinda wondering if i can do it without removing the PS idler pulley, but it seemed to be sandwiched in there.

So long story short, do I have to remove the PS idler to remove the rail, or can i just loosen the rail and yank em off while they are sitll on the car?

Another thing is my supplies, I would need clamps, a razor blade a injector holder and seal kit, and a few feet of hose. But I was also curious if i should clamp the hoses on the injector?

according to jaglovers i shouldnt put them on http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/EFIhoseclamps.html

If I need something else throw it out here, this is one job I kinda wanna do quickly and efficently
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Kassim,

Make certain that it is the hose leaking and not the body of the injector. I had 3 injectors go w/ in weeks of each other around 120,000 mi. The bodies were leaking - I ended up replacing them all.

If it is the hoses, you can just replace the hose, but I have never done it, just typically replace the whole thing (especially with the track record of the bodies). Anyway, I don't recall the pulley needing to come off, but there are a couple of mounting points for the rail on the side of the engine and ont he front, but it takes minutes (I can get it in and out in an hour) on these cars...you have to pull a stud on the Z cars.

You are on the right track with the razor blade and the clamps, just make sure you source the correct type line. It has got to be high pressure injection line. A lot of places will try to sell you carb fuel line, but you have to look for the high pressure injection line. And be careful when cutting the old hoses off as not to cut into the nipple of the injector and comprimise the hose's ability to seal.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Yeah, the guy tried selling me carb line, but i had to insist on efi line. Small gas leaks pose little risk of a fire, but a line bursting from over pressuring almost guarantees catastrophic results. Ill look real close later in the day, mabye the injector bodies are leaking and then id have to order a couple from somewhere pretty quick.

I think this has been covered somewehre before, but is there any way that I can interchange the injectors from other motors of other years of other vehicles? like a l28 and a l28 turbo

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
dlh

Post by dlh »

I find that the more things you take off to get to the fuel rail the less cussing and less tools you would have to pick up off the floor from throwing.

Like Ben said, if the bodies of the injectors are leaking then replace all of them. Beware of NAPA and other auto parts stores. I have used their turbo injectors for my zxt and they did not flow well at all. I kept running lean. I put a set of JY injectors and they ran better than the new ones from NAPA. It was then I decided to go ahead and buy new nissan injectors.

If it does turn out to be the hoses, then get a soldering iron to burn through the injector hose per the factory service manual. The knife can score the injector barb and compromise the new hose. The small ring at the base of the barb is what helps the hose stay on the barb fitting.

Measure one of the old injectors with the hose. Keep the new hose at full length while putting it on the injector, cut it to length only after you have it fully seated on the injector and ring. Keep all of the cuts square. I have one of those Handi-cut utility cutters made by craftsman. Dip the hose and end of the injector to act as lubricant while twisting the hose onto the injector.
crank pirate, cannibalistic zcar owner
1982 280zx turbo 4 spd auto
1973 240z, lsd, cv axles
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I replaced the hoses a few days ago. Stopped leaking, made me have a smile on my face because promptly after i took the car for a 250 mile drive to the southern tier in ny. After a few days of staying there I noticed things like the gasoline vapor smell, kept stopping to see if the injectors where leaking, checked and it was dry as a bone, and it didnt seem to be smelling from the engine bay every time I checked, so I figured I was 250 miles away from my tools and I didnt see any leaks under the car by the tank or anywhere on the line, so I just blew it off. Checked the car on my way back to buffalo, and saw the #2 and #4 injectors where leaking, #2 had a intermittent leak and #4 prompted me to change the hoses. It sounds like the bodies to me this time. I dont see any fuel on the small cup at the bottom of the hose this time. How are the injectors set up? is there a 2 piece design with the connector seperate from the housing?

So I guess I cant use these ebay fuel injectors right? link

cause I really dont think I can afford dumping a huge amount of money by buying new injectors from NAPA or Nissan, they are mighty expensive. From napa the cheapos are 40 and the expensive ones run to 100 soemthing, and from my point of view id rather put a small block in the car and turn it into a monster.

I might try to find a JY around here and make some calls, but I dont really want injectors that are 20 years old cause they would break too.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

The meatal body is attached to the upper section which is plastic. It is here where they leak most often times.

Those injectors on eBay would probably fit in your car, but I would be hesitant to buy injectors made by a mfg. I've never heard of.

I know they are expensive (they were when I replaced my original set years ago), even the remans - which, in my experience are crap. When I did this the first time I paid $60.00/injector and had two go bad on me (one, then the other) and they started fouling the plugs in cyls 5 and 6 in a handful of miles. Gave me a terrible headache and forced me to park the car for 2 years.

I ended up scoring a big handful of 280zx injectors that I then sent out to be flow tested and matched (at $17/ea.) and they came back with good spray patterns and good flow rates. The car runs great with these injectors.

Your concern is valid over 20 y.o. injectors, but for under $100, a cleaned and flow tested set of JY ones that are not leaking when tested will most likely stay that way for a while.

Still a hell of a lot cheaper and a smaller pain in the ass than a SBC Conversion :?
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

thats true, I actually found a pull a part over here, and im planning on making a trip, wether they have the car or not. I havnt been to a pull a part in years and I wouldnt mind killing some time in a JY grabbing a bunch of goodies :D Ill look around when I get there, I think I need bosch green top injectors, but if I dont see em im gonna try grabbing a set off a late model z car.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Any injectors off a Nissan L28E will work. I think they flow a little more than the stock injectors, but my car runs strong with them.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Well, i guess they are higher flow because of the extra .4 liters, and the resistance should be the same, they all use the bosch L-jetronic

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Yes. Yes. Yes.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I'm not sure the L28E injectors have a higher flow rate. I suspect that the ECM widens the duration pulse for more fuel. Unlike the turbo injector, which actually does have a higher max flow rate.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Mabye the injectors have the same flow rate and the ecm just keeps it wide open for longer. It works though

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I might have to buy the ones on ebay, I scoured local jy's and didnt find much. I found one z car but the motor and tranny was pulled, and several jaguars with the o ring style injectors and one with a car fire that originated from the injectors. :shock: :shock:

so ill see what i need to do, i have 3 leaking, i might just shell out the money and buy NAPA replacements.

The ebay one are KEM's and I know their factory is in new jersey, hopefully they didn't outsource the injectors and i shouldn't have a problem

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Imports must really not be popular in this region, cause i have yet to find a junkyard with a datsun maxima or a z car except at the pull a part i was at yesterday. Both the z car and the maxima should have low impediance injection right? How about the turbo z's too.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
dlh

Post by dlh »

Turbo inj make the 2.8 non turbo engines run rich let alone the 2.4.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, go with nissan injectors.

Courtesy nissan gives a 25% discount.

JMHO

BTW, imports are just as popular there as anywhere else, it's just that the yards probably have already crushed them because of rust issues in that part of the country.
crank pirate, cannibalistic zcar owner
1982 280zx turbo 4 spd auto
1973 240z, lsd, cv axles