Leaking injector hoses

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Because the cars rust out so bad back there, they have probably been off of the road for years.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Mmm, good point, cars rust good up here. And they also dont fool around with the salt and sand, there are big piles of it in the winter
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Exactly.

I don't know how people work on cars back there. The only cars I have worked on from back east (and Ohio) involved replacing brake lines in sections because we couldn't get the ends to free up and breaking off exhaust studs left and right - they looked like hour glasses. Unreal. I feel sorry for you guys.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

ahahaha yea there is alot of cutting parts off like that

and alot of body rot, much body rot

I usually wind up being that crazy guy taking the car to the self wash every week washing out the wheel wells, engine bay and undercarraige. People think im crazy, but i think they are crazy, i dont wanna be being able to put my finger thru any parts of my car

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Thats why you drive a 24 y.o. car and nobody else does.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

25 in January :lol:

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I sourced 4 injectors off a JY back in long island, they seem to be off a 87 stanza, according to the guy they are the same. I think its a bit fishy because im not sure what injection system they use. I can spring for the 4 and have them mailed up here, but im not sure if its a good idea. so far this is all ive been able to pull though.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Sounds suspect. And you only have four. I can't believe you can't find a 280zx out there in a JY.

Let me look in my garage in my zx parts box and see what I've got. I've got a few extras - not sure how many.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I called around and i have a 50/50 on parts, a guy may have em but they are far away. He has to make phoen calls, and I called him at cosing time so ill bother him 2mm. See what happens, public transportation is really starting to suck

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

good news, is i got a friend shipping it to me and hes gonna pick them up at a JY back on LI. Bad news is they are definitley dirty and i need to find a place to clean and flow test the injectors. What kind of shop would do this and am I gonna have to plant another money tree for this? they should be here by late week, friday or so. I think ill be able to handle public transportation until mabye thursday? give or take.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

$17 ea. plus $10 for shipping back to you. Cleaned, flow and leak tested. They have turned my sets around in a week - i.e. I send them out monday, back by friday or saturday.

http://www.witchhunter.com

I have had them do 2 different sets of injectors. They come back cleaned with new caps, screens and o-rings and a data sheet showing each injector's "performance".

You can also do it yourself with a push-button actuator that you connect to a 12 volt battery, a can of carb cleaner and some shop air. You won't be able to tell if they leak or not with this method.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

the injectors will be ready to dump in 2mm, the only thing is that when removing the old injectors, i kinda knicked the bulb on the rail with the razor blade, its a small knick that runs halfway up the ridge. Whats teh chances of failure because of this?

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

What are your options?

May as well screw it all together and try it, because the alternative is to try to find another fuel rail.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

so, i got the injectors, well only 5 of them because one of them are being sourced from somewhere i dont know via napa. I got 5 of them, 3 of them are a solid oem style, the kind i think are good, but there are another 2 of them, and they have shorter hoses. The hoses are so short, that when i put it back together, the hose will barely go over the bump in the rail. Im gonna try cutting all the hoses shorter, and carefully bend the rail closer, keeping the strain off the solder points. I need the car friday and I dont have time to re-order them.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

ahh, driving feels good

all done, and runs great.

I wound up using napa new injectors, cost me a fortune but it was worth it, cause they are shiny and new.

Otherwise there is no perks besides the shiny and new, im planning on keeping the 4 working injectors, send them to witchunter and have the bench work done, and keep them as spares

227K SOLD 6/7/2012