Extracting the maxi's cruise controll transplant into 280z

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

blueeagle

Extracting the maxi's cruise controll transplant into 280z

Post by blueeagle »

I would like some help and input into extracting the maxi's cruise controll and transplanting it into 280z with my LD28 swap I am preparing to do?
1981 Diesel Maxima 5 speed rescured complete from bone yard for $300
power windows, locks, mirrors, and Cruise control still working.
Title search reviled I am the 2nd owner.....
600 miles to the tank at 60 mph
Best fuel mileage with 80% ULSD and 20% SVO
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

While you "own the parts" of the OEM CC, for a swap you will probably want to look hard at a new aftermarket CC. New ones have more features and regulate better, plus -- and this may be important, depending on your driving habits -- the OEM Gen1 Maxima CC will not set above 76 MPH. When I drive across the desert, this sometimes is a limitation.

Get the FSM, and the entire CC system description is laid out schematically on a single page, very nice. If your 280Z was available with factory CC, it's likely that a CC speedo head can be obtained that contains the factory speed pickup, and you can swap in the coil, or the whole head -- I am talking about a 280Z speedo head here. And I am guessing that Nissan used the same kind of system for both the Gen1 Maxima and the 280Z. Because many other parts have been similar or even identical between the two lines, I think it's a good bet the CC speed sensor is too.

Once you have the speedo head sensor in place, the rest is merely plumbing and wiring. The CC stuff on you firewall can be put anywhere the mechanical cable will reach the cable sheave on the LD28 intake; it doesn't have to be on the firewall.

HTH
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.