Will soon look at '82 Maxima diesel

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The bracket hadn't broken; the bottom of the alternator broke off at the mounting tab. It looks as if I may be able to salvage the internals, the stator looks OK. And the front housing is likely to be interchangeable with the gasser. I had two spare alternators on the shelf, so I swapped one in. Someday I'll run across a cheap non-working gasser alternator and I'll see if I can make two of one. It's the rotor and the rear housing that are unique to the LD28 alternator.

I don't know about the Cavalier pump to which you refer, but Mid-80s Cadillac used a booster vac pump in the left front fender behind the bumper/ahead of the wheel. This pump did not develop much vacuum and was primarily there to make sure the HVAC controls worked properly on long uphills. But, yeah, it might work for the Maxima. I don't know about the Cavalier's, but the Cadillac ones are often very noisy when worn. They're still available new.

Unless you need a lot of amperage, stock is best, IMO. The LD28 alternators are not rare, merely old. They wear out, the diodes break, the regulators toast as a result, and bearings are not forever even on Delcos. You can still have them rebuilt, and the supply of rebuilt units is still good, though usually not all that cheap. eBay had a run of them last fall for the $60-90 range, but that run has dried up now.

The brushes can be changed without removing the alternator, though they do require soldering to their mounting tabs (on the bench). These 200k+ engines shouldn't be faulted for an occasional alternator failure!
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

Thanks again.
IIRC, when cars used vacuum powered windshield wiper motors, there was the same problem when pulling hills, they stopped working.
I think the fix was some kind of vacuum pump built into the fuel pump to assist, but it's been a long time....
Ray M.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Yup, for example Ford Falcons used the vacuum booster pump through '62. Dual-chamber fuel pump, one chamber for fuel, another for vacuum.

Many other marques used vacuum booster pumps -- all mechanical, AFAIK.

I used to have a big box of Trico vacuum wiper motors -- for my '57 Ford Fairlane 500.
Last edited by asavage 18 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

Yes, now I remember, Trico was the name, thanks.
Ray M.
fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

Ok, all, the saga goes on.
I will shortly be back in touch with the ambivalent owner of the '82 sedan to see if she will negotiate for real. Since Al has me thinking about a possible broken alt. bracket causing the loose belt, and since there well could be other issues that would show up after it not being on the road for 3 years, I've pretty much decided to get it towed--if I get it. It would be $85 on a flatbed trailer for the 80-mile trip, so the driveshaft could stay put.
I otherwise am looking at a trip down and back home by car with tools to work some more on it, then a bus or train trip back south to drive it home. Costs are involved with that, plus peace of mind, assuming the tow guy is legitimate. And my time is worth something too.
Ray Mac
fud2468

Alloys

Post by fud2468 »

I decided to stick with this thread since wheels were discussed in it.
No further progress on the '82 so far, owner still obstinate.
Anyway, I went to the local Pick-n -Pull yesterday to look around--it was half-price day.
An '82 gasser sedan was there and I was tempted to pull the lenses just in case, but didn't, since a terrific thunderstorm hit and I got drenched and lost interest fast.
The car had 3 alloys on it with good rubber, however. Are these worth going back to pull?
Thanks,
Ray Mac.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

The 1984 and 1985 300zx 4 bolt alloys bolt right on and they're 6.5 inches wide.

They rub a little with 215/60-15s when hitting bumps and turning but may not rub with 215/55s which are closer to stock size.

There is no offset problem and they look fine.

Nobody wants these wheels since the 240sx wheels are a similar if not same offset but they are 1/2 inch narrower and have a much higher demand.
fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

Thanks.
I thought the Maxima alloys were valuable also, possibly because of lower unsprung weight.
Ray Mac
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Crap.......I need to find that pic of my 280zx towing a 1984 maxima on a tow dolly.

I've built hitches for many a nissan but never the gen1 maxima.

I'll look around at the configuration and see if it's easy to build a heavy duty reciever type that won't be unsafe........like many 280zx hitches that will puncture the fuel tank when hit lightly from the rear.

At least I don't have to worry about that on this car.