Fuel mileage tweaks

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

rlaggren

Fuel mileage tweaks

Post by rlaggren »

The FSM doesn't have much detail info on where the hydraulic circuits for the tranny are located so I don't know if theres a way to jigger the TC control by inserting a solenoid valve and I'm not inclined to scrunch around under there for the forseeable future.
Guess I shouldn't talk like that. Found an exterior transmission hydraulic line ("governor" line according to Al and the FSM) the hard way - bodacious leak at the front flare nut. I tried loosening and tightening it (after cleaning up a little) but that was definitely not an improvement. Probably have the local shop deal with it on their lift because it needs done and I don't have the tooling to make new steel line; I guess I could do it in copper but vibration might kill that too soon.

But now maybe I can figure a little kludge to control the TC lockup. <g> Anybody know if that line does anything except lock the TC? If that's it's job, can I just use a solenoid to shut it off to disable the lockup? Or do I have to leave some pressure and flow because it's lubricating something as well?

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon