Replacing PS Belt Advice? SOLVED

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

anonymike

Replacing PS Belt Advice? SOLVED

Post by anonymike »

===== SOLVED ==== SEE BELOW========

Well, I'm about to go on a very long drive in a couple of days and my gut tells me that I should replace the power steering belt before it pops on me. I don't have an FSM and unfortunately I have to leave in 4 days. So I'm about to dig in and and try to pull it out, but I'm not sure about the best way to get around the alternator belt in front of it.

Any advice? I couldn't find anything in the forums by searching, but if anyone knows a thread here that talks about it... Is the IP Belt info be where I should look? Also, all the other belts look great, so I'm afraid that this belt is a total pain to replace, and that's why the last owner didn't do it, because it was very well taken care of before I got it.

If the belt pops, can I still drive it?

===SOLVED========
It turns out the answer was in the last question I posted. haha. sorry.
kassim503

Re: Replacing PS Belt Advice? SOLVED

Post by kassim503 »

padlamoij wrote: If the belt pops, can I still drive it?

=
Even though you know how to pull the belt now, I guess telling you the belt on the ps pump breaking wont prevent you from driving altogether would be good peace of mind.

You just wont have powersteering, so the steering effort is a bit more.

The only belt I personally replace voluntarily would be the fan belt, because if that breaks it means no more driving, otherwise I let all the other ones go until they snap.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
anonymike

Post by anonymike »

hmmm... well. I just replaced it. I took a lot of pictures though so I'll be sure to post them in a few minutes.

I'm driving across the country. So if it did pop, it wouldn't be very much fun driving 2,000 miles without power steering.