Replacement vacuum line

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

goglio704

Replacement vacuum line

Post by goglio704 »

I'm having trouble finding vacuum line to fit the cruise control solenoid and actuator. Fitting the ID is not a problem, but finding a workable combination of ID and OD is turning into a pain.

For those who haven't looked at it, the solenoid and actuator have a shroud around the vacuum connection barb. The shroud is what makes the OD almost as critical as the ID.

ID is about 2.5mm.

OD is about 5.75mm.

While I'm at it, I'd like to find some tube that wouldn't dry rot in six months. I'd even buy silicone as long as I don't also have to install a 4" muffler and undercar lighting. :wink:

Anybody found a good solution to this? I'm thinking this tubing wasn't unique to the diesel Maxima. Other Nissans of the period probably had it too. Thoughts?
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Try trimming the tube with a razor to decrease the OD right at the ends, if you do it really nicely it looks cosmetically neat, and it seems to suffice in my car.

So far i have run the bits of hose on my car with the trimmed ends for over a year now with no problems.

No help on the dry rotting though, those hoses sure do like to rot though!
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

What makes them rot fast? Sounds strange because hey, nothing in there but vacuum! The exhaust manifold is on the other side so it's probably not heat... What the heck is going on?

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I have no proof of this, but I think its caused by the oxygen in the air surrounding it oxidizing the rubber. Im guessing vacuum tubing is not made out of a high quality rubber thats built to withstand harsh environments, so I guess that causes its short service life. Kind of like why alot of guys are filling their tires with nitrogen now.

Has anybody noticed oem tubing from the 70's gets really mushy and stretchy when it gets all rotted and cracked? almost like there is a different material in the center that retains usability when tubing from the 80's gets really hard and brittle and cracks off of fittings?
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012