1982 Maxi Wagon Front Brakes?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

DMS

1982 Maxi Wagon Front Brakes?

Post by DMS »

Hello all,

This is the my first post about our new wagon(Al's old wagon). I was under the impression by not only Al but a few other people that these wagons came with 200sx style non-vented rotors and calipers. I called the auto store to verify the situation.

So here is what we got:

For comparison reasons I placed a 83 280zx turbo strut into the picture.

Someone have a clue what Im up against? The calipers are a different casting, but the pads look the same. I have no idea the origin of the rotors. Im going to dig through the papers Al gave me and the FSM, but Im not sure its stock and there is no guarantee that the papers cover anything before Al owned the car.

Thanks

Ray and Amoe
Ray
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

Maxima rotors are the ones with the vents and "scalloped" hubs. The ones with the longer bearing section are not original on Maxis, and must fit something else. Stick with what works.
DMS

Post by DMS »

diesel-man wrote:Maxima rotors are the ones with the vents and "scalloped" hubs. The ones with the longer bearing section are not original on Maxis, and must fit something else. Stick with what works.
I think you missed something. If you look closely you'll see I mentioned the ones that arent on the car are for reference(1983 280zx turbo front struts that are for my 1971 510 wagon).

When I call the parts stores all they can order is the non-vented stuff for the 82 maxima. Basically its the same stuff as Al and others have mentioned(200sx brake parts). Maybe the Maxima wagon got vented brakes?

I will have a chance in a bit to go dig through the FSM and see what it says.

Ray
Ray
DMS

Post by DMS »

FSM shows pictures of what I have and min thickness specs of just under 3/4". So I think this is stock. Wonder why everyone thought it was the non-vented and the auto stores show non-vented.

I guess I will have to order a set up and see if I get vented stuff.
Ray
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If you're interested, the Nissan FAST Windoze program can help you do parts lookup and comparison on a lot of old Nissan stuff. See this post for info on how to do that.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

I've got over 20 of these cars, (parts and on the road)(don't care if you believe it) don't care what is on what car, but I said what I said and I stand by it. Ten years from now you can prove me wrong. I started collecting these in 1986.

Perhaps I did not answer the question you asked, but I am experiencing video card problems.........
My first post says: "Maxima rotors are the ones with the vents"

Front maxi rotors vented, rear non vented. 1981-1983
wagons have rear drums.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You aren't basing all this on one parts store? right? Check a different brand. Here is an ebay listing...way overpriced...yada yada. This is what they look like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-2 ... ccessories
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I have been saying "Maximas have 200SX brakes" because of the pad swept area -- they are the same pad, IIRC.

I don't think I ever implied that the rotors were the same.

ISTR that the tie rod ends (and, perhaps, the ball joints) are shared with 200SX.

In any event, the front brakes are very light for the weight of the car. Anyone who's towed with a Gen1 Maxima will agree ;)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.