Rear bumper removal

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Rear bumper removal

Post by asavage »

I just had to rediscover this . . .

Back in 1996, when I first bought my '82 Wagon, I removed the rear bumper to do some cosmetic paint touch-up.

Ray (the new owner) wants a spare rear bumper, so I went to pull one from the '81 Wagon. Aside from the two bumper end-caps (10mm head), there are two obvious nuts underneath -- about 14mm socket size?

What wasn't obvious in the dark in the rain, is that there are two 14mm head bolts that are fastened from inside the back of the Wagon.

Remove the plastic rear carpet edge trim at the back of the cargo carpet, lift the carpet & the fibreboard under the carpet and prop them up a foot.

There are two squares (4") of mastic (one each side) covering rubber body plugs (~1.25"), and then down those holes are 14mm head bolts.

So, three fasteners on each bumper rail, plus the end cap bolts.

I hope that next time I go to remove a Maxima Wagon rear bumper, I'll find this post -- my reminder.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.