Factory Gasser Tach

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Bormie

Factory Gasser Tach

Post by Bormie »

Hello. I'm new to the forum and I've been searching through different topics for a while doing research as I am contemplating making a diesel Maxima my new daily driver.
I like the idea of changing the 85mph speedo cluster to the higher 125mph? gasser speedo with a working factory tach.
I haven't found an answer in any searches:
Has anyone been able to get a factory gasser tach to work with the asavage egr controller mod?
Bormie

Post by Bormie »

Guess not.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Well, I figured a smarter one might answer, but here are a couple points:

The gasser dash won't have a glow plug light so your best bet may be to transplant the gasser speedo; that won't get you a tach, though. If you want to try the whole dash, you need to consider factor in the glow plug light somewhere.

If you get the gasser dash working in other respects, there is almost surely a way to get the tach working. IMOH.

Best luck. Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
Bormie

Post by Bormie »

Thanks for the reply. Yes the glow plug light would be an issue. It would be nice to have an oil pressure and volt gauge instead of the idiot lights.
It's probably easier to get a stand alone set.
What about using the LD28 for a daily driver? I have a 90mi round trip commute uphill both ways. How do these diesels perform at a six percent grade? These engines are unique for a diesel as they have a short stroke compared to the bore so I imagine they rev quite well.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Don't recall if you mentioned one but you want to pick up a used manual for the car - make sure it has the diesels section included as one of the years had it as a separate add-on. It has stuff like timing, valve lash and a bit of info on the top speeds.

I installed a set of oversize tires on my 82 wagon (no overdrive), about 10% over. I manage a 4%-5% grade depending on wind; more than that it starts slowing and I need to downshift. W/stock tires you might make 6% if the wind isn't too bad. Course I have an auto tranny and that matters, too. IIRC the wagon weights in about 3300# but actual running weight for my trips is about 3600-3700#.

Seems I recall a thread on the gasser dash a couple years ago. You might work on the Search button a bit and see what comes up - maybe find a list of gotchas. I think the final was that you could do it but you had to really want to bad.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon