Cruise Control doesnt work

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Dairy

Cruise Control doesnt work

Post by Dairy »

My cruise control doesnt work in my 82. I push the buttons and the lights come on but it doesnt do anything.
Dslsmoke

Post by Dslsmoke »

Check the brake and or clutch pedal, there should be a plastic plug that makes contact with the CC kill switch, these plugs wear out and or fall off, when they don't contact the switch, the CC thinks you have either the brake or the clutch depressed, also see if the brake lights are on.. :lol:

Hope this helps you....

Dslsmoke.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

By far, the most common thing that goes south with the Maxima ASCD (Automatic Speed Control Device) is rotted hoses to the servo and the various solenoids.

If you get all the lights to light when you press the Set button . . .

. . . then look hard at the hoses.

If you can get the "On" light to light, but not the "Cruise", you may have a switch issue, as DslSmoke suggested, or the actual stalk switch. But my money is on the hoses.

[If you're interested in how to get that switch cluster above to light up again, when the CC works but the lights don't, see the Cruise Control Switch thread. There's also a Cruise Control (ASCD) thread where (surprise!) the hoses are mentioned a couple of times.]
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Dairy

Post by Dairy »

The cruise light comes on but the other one doesn't. Sometimes when I get on my brakes a warning light comes on above the stereo. I have checked my rear lights and they work fine when I'm on the brakes.