Glow Plugs

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Dairy

Glow Plugs

Post by Dairy »

I seem to be having a issue with my glow plugs. Its been cold the past week or so (5-10) and if its pluged in i have to heat the plugs for 10-20 seconds but if its not plugged in i have to heat it for about 5 min going in 15 second cycles and trying to start it a couple times. When it finally starts i have to be giving it a little throttle and it dumps black smoke. I did straight pipe it because the exhaust rusted and broke. When i hit the started it hardly turns over until it fires but doest stay running.

If you could give me any tips on heating the plugs and/or post a link to a forum telling me how to replace the glow plugs it would be very helpful.

82 maxima diesel
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Good starting is possible in the cold cold if the following conditions are met:
1. Good strong battery.
2. Thick battery cables w/ appropriately sized clamps, in good condition, no interior corrosion or bulges.
3. Good starter.
4. Entire GP system intact and in good working order. All 6 GPs good, good wiring, GP controller (under pass. seat) working correctly, both underhood GP relays functioning.
5. Decent compression.

With these 5, car will start from cold easily and immed. after should be smooth, no excessive smoke. Maybe a puff of white smoke on cold startup is it. The factory afterglow works well but if it quits working there is no clue except it will want to die after start and run rough for a while.

The common problem these cars have w/ GPs is as the engine ages they could really use more GP after approx. 20 min. hot soak, but the temp threshold is programmed too low so the controller does not energize GPs because coolant is not "cold enough" to warrant glow.

Some have reported problems w/ deteriorating GP bussbar.

Search the archives.

Do you have a FSM? There is excellent GP system troubleshooting section in there. Straight thru exhaust should have nothing to do w/ hard starting.
Dairy

Post by Dairy »

no i dont have a FSM. Is there a forum on here that has troubleshooting.
82 maxima ld28 200K
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Today is your lucky day! This one practically dropped in your lap! Suggest you buy it.
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=2574
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Carimbo wrote: 4. Entire GP system intact and in good working order. All 6 GPs good, good wiring, GP controller (under pass. seat) working correctly, both underhood GP relays functioning.
With a helper operating the key, put a voltmeter on the tip of one of the GPs and have your helper turn the key to ON. You'd better see better than 10v reading. If not, look hard at connections, especially where the GP feed spade connector about 6" from the battery's positive terminal. Much problems with that connector. It's a 8mm (5/16") female & male connector, and if it looks at all bad, cut it out and crimp/solder a solid connection there!
Some have reported problems w/ deteriorating GP bussbar.
Some pics of the rotted GP bus bar and some very nice replacements are in this thread.

Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.