Talking Lady: "Keys are in the Ignition"

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Talking Lady: "Keys are in the Ignition"

Post by asavage »

As you know, the console "Voice Warning" rocker switch will disable all voice messages -- except one: "Key is in the Ignition". I find key reminders annoying. My habit is to pull the key out slightly so the key switch thinks the key is out, before opening the door. All to avoid that voice.

There's a workaround. I haven't fully tested it, and actually haven't implemented it in final form yet, but I'll start here.

You can remove the lower or upper steering column shroud, find one of the wires to the key switch (Red w/Blue stripe is easy). It's a 1/4" spade connection. Pull that connector, wrap male end with tape. That's it: no more "Key" voice warning.

The "Lights are On" warning still works -- it uses the door switch for its input. Likewise, the "Fuel Level is Low" warning should be unaffected. I don't know about "Door is Ajar".

I am going to pick up a subminiature toggle switch for the lower column plastic, and put a couple of wires with terminals on them (one 1/4" male, one 1/4" female) and connect the switch to the harness. That way, should I ever feel the need, I can turn the feature back on (why?). And the harness will remain unbutchered.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

I consider the fact that mine doesn't work at all a blessing, otherwise I'd be tempted to disable it permanently.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

mine drives me insane
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

For foggy daytime driving, when I am running with HL on, I like a reminder to turn them off when leaving the car.

When driving long distances, it's nice to have a reminder that the fuel is low, though the gauge is adequate.

The "Parking Brake is On" could be considered a Good Thing.

I don't know that I care for the "Right Door is Ajar" thing.

It's really only the "Key is in the Ignition" one that I can't stand. I don't live where removing the keys is mandatory every time I exit.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
Carimbo

Re: Talking Lady: "Keys are in the Ignition"

Post by Carimbo »

asavage wrote:That way, should I ever feel the need, I can turn the feature back on (why?).
Why? For when you loan your car to your girlfriend who has probably locked the keys inside almost every car she has driven. Last time was with the car running, "parked" in the middle of the street, windows rolled up and heater on fullblast, 11:30 PM. Normal buzzers or chimes are sometimes not enough. The obnoxious lady voice seems to work.

Al I liked your idea; I may do similar.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Pictures:

I have a dozen switches in storage, none that I liked for this app. I'll pick up some subminis tomorrow.
Regards,
Al S.

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

well you cant really lock your keys in the car with these cars, try locking the drivers door and closing it- it has a anti lockout feature and the drivers door would unlock before closing.

after reading al's posting I really realize how much of a pain in the a** the key in ignition warning is, I yank the key a little bit out to turn off the alarm mabye 10-15 times a day

Is there a parking brake on feature? I dont think Ive ever heard mine, mabye ill do some driving with it on and see what it does.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

For the "Parking Brake is On" to be heard, I think you have to set it with the car stationary, then travel above 5 MPH -- or something like that. I've heard it on the '83, can't recall if the '82 does that one too.
Regards,
Al S.

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Its so nice to have the car not talk to me when i have the keys in it anymore :)

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

kassim503 wrote:well you cant really lock your keys in the car with these cars, try locking the drivers door and closing it- it has a anti lockout feature and the drivers door would unlock before closing.
Ah, but you can. If you lock all the doors via the driver lock, then close the driver door while holding the driver outside handle in the open position, you can lock the car with the keys inside! It takes work, but it can be done!

steve a

zim - silence!
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

glenlloyd wrote:
kassim503 wrote:well you cant really lock your keys in the car with these cars, try locking the drivers door and closing it- it has a anti lockout feature and the drivers door would unlock before closing.
Ah, but you can. If you lock all the doors via the driver lock, then close the driver door while holding the driver outside handle in the open position, you can lock the car with the keys inside! It takes work, but it can be done!

steve a
I never knew that, i thought the only way to lock your keys in the car is to go in thru another door and lock all them manually, then shut the door on your keys

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

glenlloyd wrote:

steve a
I always have to hold the hadle up when I close the door or it doesn't lock.

This is not by design? The 84 is the same way.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

If its locked, then you close the door and the door unlocks, thats the anti lockout feature

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

kassim503 wrote:If its locked, then you close the door and the door unlocks, thats the anti lockout feature
Not if you hold the outside handle up (open position), then the door shuts and the lock remains locked. I've owned other cars that worked in this manner too, can't recall off-hand which ones but that's one of the reasons I tried it.

steve a

zim - silence!
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

81 Subaru was the same way, had to hold the handle up or the door would unlock as you closed it. Both my Maxima's are this way. Problem is it becomes a habit to hold the handle up and next thing you know you have locked your keys up.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD