L3N71B 3-Spd Auto Tranny No Lockup?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Carimbo

L3N71B 3-Spd Auto Tranny No Lockup?

Post by Carimbo »

Others have said the lockup at 37MPH is noticeable. On mine it is definitely not noticeable. FSM states the shock is low and hard to determine and suggests using a tach to verify a 200-400 RPM decrease.

Can you guys really feel it when the lockup kicks in?

My car has no tach but have wondered about fitting a temporary one (engine test meter) off the diesel's RPM counter. Would this work?

Would really like to know if the lockup is working.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

It feels like another shift. It is not subtle. Mine is definitely on the 400 RPM end of that range. I have a stretch of commute that is 35 MPH, hilly, and it's a real PITA when I try to use the CC on that two miles of road, as it's locking and unlocking all the time.

Perhaps you don't have a L3N71B. What does the firewall plate say? Or maybe someone put a 3N71B in (gasser or diesel). I don't think it will have this on the side of it, if it's correct:

(archive photo from CL)

Come on out this way sometime, you can drive my '82 Wagon!
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.