Strange Electrical Issue (Believe It or Not)

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

83_maxima

Strange Electrical Issue (Believe It or Not)

Post by 83_maxima »

Recently my car has fallen victim to a strange electrical issue.

It began when my audio fuse blew. I replaced it, the radio worked, but the power antenna will not operate. The motor will run when supplied with power, so it is not the issue.

As I attempted to troubleshoot the issue, I have determined that all components are functioning properly, as is the relay for the accessories.

A strange thing is that when I turn the ignition to the acc or on position, the radio will not stay on, it will blink, then turn off. It will also not retain any memory presets as it did before. I have swapped it out with another known good unit and it does the same thing. The fuse also blows intermittently. Not every time I turn on the car, but after several times of turning the ing. on and then off, it would blow.

This seems like a short somewhere, a power interruption to the radio/antenna, but I haven't a clue where to start troubleshooting an issue in the wiring.

Where should I start? Ideas?
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Try checking the fuse connections, like the part where the cars fuse block touches your fuse, I remember when I was doing some work to wire up my cb radio to the cars fuse block I think i had a loose connection. I doubt this would help because I dont think a loose connection to the fuse blade would have anything to do with blowing them.

And thats is a pretty strange problem
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Does the radio fuse blow (intermittently as you posted) whether the radio is on or off? Only at startup? Going over bumps?

Since problem stays the same w/ known good radio installed we can presume it's NOT the radio.

Here's a direction to look at:
Doesn't the radio send a signal to the power antenna when turned on/off? Can you check the wiring between the radio and antenna, maybe there is a short there? Or disconnect it at the radio side and see if that improves the situation.

PS: I have the grille and tailignts ready for shipping. Sorry for the delay.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

The fuse only blows when the radio is on, but not predictably. you may be able to turn it on/off 5-10 times and it *might* blow the fuse on the 11th try. It is unaffected by bumps, etc.

The radio does send a signal to the antenna to turn on/off when the radio is on. I am pretty sure there is a short somewhere, but the radio not holding memory throws me as to what might be causing the problem. I have a feeling it may be a bunch of audio wires bundled together that are causing the issue.