L4N71B (OD AT, 1983-84)

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I read through the general section in the beginning, where I thought it was, it must be in the 83 owners manual, which I also thought I had in my glove compartment- along with all the original paperwork. The ASCD side of the book in the electrical section shows no linkage with the od solenoid, even though when pressing accel, it clearly downshifts and its definitley stated somewhere in the owners manual.

Im gonna take the car out and look at it again, once I get the battery charged again, the darn dome light stayed on for half of the weekend.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

the 1985 nissans use a auto controller,the ascd conects into it.
these operate the kick down solinoid at times not the od or lock up cancel.as all are earth switch its easy to use multiple switches.

operating the kickdown is equal to lowering the goveror pressure.as you arent using full throttle you get a soft downshift not the hard thump of a WOT kickdown.

latter trans use this as a power shift option to give different shift patterns.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I got my cruise control to engage around 40 mph today, it cancel the od when pressing the accel switch. Im gonna finish replacing all the vacuum lines and try again, im positive they arent all there, they are too brittle to stay on their respective fittings.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

One thing to watch out for in higher hp cars with this tranny is that it's possible to downshift out of overdrive into 3rd at a speed that will put your car at or near 7000rpms just by dipping into the throttle enough to acitvate the kickdown switch.

I now have a switch in series with the kickdown switch for just this reason.

Yes.......I was going over 120mph at part throttle (easy with a turbo to get full boost with part throttle) in overdrive and pushed into kickdownland which netted the crazy tach needle swing.
dlh

Post by dlh »

The od trans I have in my zxt will drop from od into 2nd gear if going below 60mph. Anything above 60mph and it will drop down into 3rd. Nice to have a passing gear of you're doing 90. That reminds me, I need to put the 3.54 rearend back in instead of the 3.9 I have in there now.
crank pirate, cannibalistic zcar owner
1982 280zx turbo 4 spd auto
1973 240z, lsd, cv axles
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

From descriptions, it sounds as if the CC is energizing the kickdown solenoid. Wish I could find that interaction in the wiring diagrams.
dlh

Post by dlh »

the pedal activates the kickdown switch. The cc pulls the pedal down to keep the speed up.

But I guess you want to know why the OD is bypassed/cancelled when the kickdown selonoid is activated.

The od is a whole other gear, it's not like a warn od on a jeep where it gives the vehical another range of gears.

Think of it as a 4 spd auto tranny with a taller 4th gear.

Maybe i'm way off base or just confused myself further about what you're asking.
crank pirate, cannibalistic zcar owner
1982 280zx turbo 4 spd auto
1973 240z, lsd, cv axles
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

the auto is a true 4 speed.if you kickdown the trans it will down shift.
the specs i can find are for cedric LD28-X8720.
kick down at any throttle range-no 4th gear-no lockup-and 3 to 2 shift is bellow 50MPH.this confirms the problem that it can down shift at high speed.

full throttle not kick down 4 to 3 is at 90 km/h and 3 to 2 at 45 km/h

later cars after 1985 has a electronic trans controller.bellow 20 mph kick down wont work and OD wont work when cold or hot.i believe if its at high speed kick down wont work-BUT we had problems with holden police cars that used nissan power train,when radio was used the trans selected 2nd gear.
these use version with contact switches on all shift valves to infom the control what gear is hydrolically selected then the kick down is used to select the programed gear.

the OD ratio is a addon gear[box] to a 3 speed trans.
that also works seporate having its own cancel soliniod.
if you fit a 3 speed gearbox valve body it has no casting to cover the 4th dump port and you get OD on all gears.the 4 speed valve body selects the 4th gear if it hasnt been cancelled.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.