L4N71B (OD AT, 1983-84)

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

dlh wrote:The lock up torque converter locks up after certain rpms of the drive shaft, It isn't electric lock up. I think close to or after 40 mph.
Do you know if the TC unlocks upon kickdown (hitting the switch on when the pedal hits the floor)?
I'm one of the z car cannibals I have been reading about in this forum. (have 1 diesel crank from a maxima for a stroker motor in my 240)
Oh . . . so you're a crank pirate, eh? Well, it takes all kinds, I guess. How far along are you on the 3.1l?
There is a write up on zcar.com telling about the 4 spd auto swap into the s30(240z, 260z, 280z) and s130(280zx). While researching for my 4 spd auto swap into my 280zx turbo I saw information between 2 of the other members talking about the pump and different year 4 spd autos.
4 spd auto swap
That's the kind of article that makes me think that this internet thing might be worth sticking around :)

Everyone else, note this quote:
Before installation, you must cut away the old mounts that were spot welded to the car to hold the old 3spd A/T, or 5spd.. This is essential as the O/D Trans is 6-8" longer than your original trans.
For us Gen1 folks, this might be an issue on the '81 810, but the '82 Maxima uses the L3N71B that is not that much different in length than the L4N71B. At least, I measured it to be within about 1.5" in length -- I have an '83 Maxima L4N71B in storage on a dolly, and I rolled it under my '82 Wagon with it on the rack, and tried to run a tape along it.
Last edited by asavage 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
dlh

Post by dlh »

I am not really familiar exactly how the torque converter locks up. Twheel told me it locks up after a certain number of revolutions of the driveshaft.

I don't think the kickdown switch has anything to do with the torque converter unlocking. Sorry I can't be of any help there. I bought the transmission, driveshaft and torque converter from Todd Wheeler.

The 3.1/3.0 stroker is on hold for a bit. I have been collecting most of the parts I need. I already have the crank, 9mm rods and a set of triple 40dcoe's. Right now I have a refreshed 2.8 and a late 5 spd for fun on the track.

Here are the pics of the tunnel brackets i made for the swap. They are thrubolted with the tunnel sandwiched between plates of steel.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/ ... pdauto.jpg

The thing I have noticed on some of the pics, the tail shaft is longer on some for the 4 spd autos. Maybe the difference on whether it came from a nissan or other car manufacture?
crank pirate, cannibalistic zcar owner
1982 280zx turbo 4 spd auto
1973 240z, lsd, cv axles
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

I don't think the kickdown switch has anything to do with the torque converter unlocking

some lock ups are centrifical clutches,these work when the engine revs.
just junk.

the lock up on a hydrolic control box is signaled by governor [test plug at the back of trans] oil pressure and 4th gear.kicking down the trans into 3rd should disengage lock up.these are not good setups.my car with a 3.5:1 axle locked up at 50 mph and would hold in untill the trans selected 3rd.

the lock up on electric/hydrolic controled box has the same signal from 4th gear and an electric cancel solinoid.L24carby engines sold in middle east have a simple vacumm switch[load],a signal from brake lights and its dead simple.

i worked on a R30 skyline today-1985 L24E L4N71B.no over drive cancel switch-very basic.the floor of this car is very similar to the maxima[wider].
the 4 speed trans is aprox 1-1.5 inch longer than 3 speed auto[long housing manual].this increase is due to the bigger tourque convertor and housing as the short tail of the 4 speed is to allow for the overdive added at the front.the tourque convertor is bigger to allow for the lockup.even if it not included.the R30 like most nissans have 3 different rear gearbox setups.4 speed-3peed/long manual-short manual.

910 in australia have B/W 35 and a BW 4 speed manual,jatco 3N71B and a long 5 speed man.the B/W35 trans has a different mount and wider floor.the aust R30 L24E uses a short 5 Speed.the idea is that the engine mount is in the same spot as a 3 speed auto but the gear stick and tail shaft comes 5.5 inches forward,what just happens to be the same spot as a L18/FJ20 4 cyl fitted with a long manual gear box.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

Al, when I mentioned being able to lock up in all 4 gears, I had in mind a toggle to go in and out , as is done on GM transmissions (and maybe others) when doing swaps.
My thought was that around town, for example, in order to keep rpms in a particular range, being able to lock it up while in that gear to avoid slippage would be good.
I did not mean to stay locked up when going from one gear to another, I would unlock it first!
Ray Mac.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

At least for the 700R4 that I had, it would lock in 2nd and stay locked unless you did a 4-3 kickdown, and on other models with that trans I know that it didn't unlock even then.

My father rigged a toggle switch for his, tri-mode: locked, unlocked, "normal". On that diesel, the lock function was governed by the trans' governor (pressure) plus a contact switch on the accel linkage -- unlock if you took your foot off the pedal. Dad's switch was wired to that linkage switch. Even when left in "locked" mode (ie trans thought my foot was always on the accel), it would unlock at a low enough speed, hydraulically.

Anyway -- that 700R4 definitely did not unlock the converter during shifts.
Last edited by asavage 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

there is no need t unlock for gearshifts as it not realy locked.

ive seen figours of 80% tourque transfer.less with low line pressure.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Remember to consider the modulator when considering turbo.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Following on to my recent purchase, here are some before-n-after pics I took today. As received:

Image Image

After $8 at the car wash, followed by 20 minutes and a quart of Castrol Super Clean (lye) and a parts brush:

Image Image Image Image

There are some nooks & crannies that are still black, but I'll need a smaller tool to clean them. The fluid was mostly drained, I got less than a quart out. I'll be pulling the pan after Christmas.
Regards,
Al S.

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

I'm going to start using that Castrol cleaner as drain cleaner!

You are lucky in finding that trans, there have to be very few of those around!

BTW - is that a fenderless Land Rover in the top right picture?

sa
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Yes, want it? It's going to the scrapyard very soon!

Story is: boss' son had one, he thought he could use some parts. This thing got dragged to work to be parted out. Son got rear-ended in his, insurance totatled it, he sold it, now this parts rig is surplus. No engine/trans, interiour is shot. Body pretty straight. Good steering box (they're massive), front/rear axle assys, decent alloy wheels, good tread on expensive Michelins but weather checked. Make someone an extremely good deal on all or any part. No title, but we have a yard that will take it without paper, so that's not a problem. not sure of the year; around 1990? I think it's a "County".

I'd really like to part it out a bit before it goes to China.
Regards,
Al S.

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:SNIP-
Do you know if the TC unlocks upon kickdown (hitting the switch on when the pedal hits the floor)?
Without exception, lockup torque converters are UNlocked as a downshift is made. Without slippage/cushioning as the next gear (up or down) is engaged, the affected planetary would be subjected to sudden shock load = broken parts.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I assume you meant, "when a automatic downshift . . . ", because my A4LD's TC definitely remains locked on a manual (movement of the shift selector) downshift from OD to D.

If I allow it to automatically downshift on a hill, it does unlock the TC.

My '83 700R4's TC also remained locked on manual downshift from OD to D.
Regards,
Al S.

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:I assume you meant, "when a automatic downshift . . . ", because my A4LD's TC definitely remains locked on a manual (movement of the shift selector) downshift from OD to D. If I allow it to automatically downshift on a hill, it does unlock the TC.
I remember those. Fords first electronically governed TC, back in '85. They scattered intermediate planetaries ... if recall right.
asavage wrote:My '83 700R4's TC also remained locked on manual downshift from OD to D.
Another trans known for sensor and solenoid failures governing TC operation. Pull off a freeway and the TC would not unlock until stalling the engine. There was also a software change or two offered to those who complained about hard shifts and hunting in and out od OD around 40 mph. Lockup was only supposed to engage at light throttle, in OD ... never in any lower gear or during heavy throttle.

I cannot think of any "power" situation where locking the TC would be desireable because ... staying locked forfeits torque multiplication from the torque converter.
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

1988 90's 700R4 buick 3.8 [holden VN-VP] hydrolic control.
lockup works 3rd,4th. engine ecu operated cancel solinoid at around 40mph light load.so i guess that in thery it would work in 2nd.

these are not 100% lockups.i think the spec was 70-80%.
L4N71B jatco is similar.

front drive jatco here used in the ford/mazda had a centrifical lock up.i not seen the 3speed maxima with lock up i guess that it similar.these lockup near 100%
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Hello . . . here's a new one . . .

This is the raw, uncleaned trans I procured from member MidnightZ in Woodinville a couple of weeks ago -- it is supposed to have been in a now-scrapped 1983 Wagon:

Looks like a std L4N71B, doesn't it? Here's what it should look like after cleaning (you've seen this pic before):
Image Image

But . . . look what this new trans has cast on it's case:

What is this?? I've never even heard of a "3N71B OD" before!