Unusual noise

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

Unusual noise

Post by kassim503 »

My son took my car for a "night on the town" last night, got the car back this morning. Checked the fluids, oil was down a full quart, interesting, I was sure that I topped it off before he took it out and i thought nothing of it and went to work.

On the way back, I went to pull a u-turn and heard a ungodly loud thump come from the passenger wheel. Passed it off as some litter that got run over and kept going. Immediately after I pulled the turn, all hell broke loose and I noticed a garble/grumble come from the wheel, sounded like a chewed wheel bearing, upon inspection the brake calipers bolts where loose, along with one of the bolts that hold the rotor to the hub (dont even ask, I have no clue why they backed out). Tightened the whole assy. down and took it for a test drive, but it still clunks/ thumps when making sharp left turns. Also the garble noise has changed to a whiny kind of noise, what is making that noise, the bearings are fine and everything looks good down there.

I also noticed chunks of tread missing from my tires, like literally chunks of tread missing. All tires around had the appearance that those tires where smokin a great deal :shock:

Lesson learned- Dont trust kids, Ever! EVER!

Whooo suspects burnouts and donuts?
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012