Parts Availability - G1 Maxima

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

It appears that the temp sensor is affecting the time the sysem stays active. Would it be advisable to disconnect the temp sensor, or would the system glow indefinitely?

I never heard the relay click off after the light went out with the sensor disconnected.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

My 1982 Wagon's prodate is 6/82 .
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

83_maxima wrote:It appears that the temp sensor is affecting the time the sysem stays active. Would it be advisable to disconnect the temp sensor, or would the system glow indefinitely?

I never heard the relay click off after the light went out with the sensor disconnected.
The relay makes a definite clunk when it goes off, you should be able to hear it. On my 82 this happens a few seconds after the light goes out. I wait for the clunk before I try to start but I don't know if that's about 10 seconds or not. I think it happens before then, which IMO is too soon.

If you're not getting a clunk at all then something's wrong.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

glenlloyd wrote:
83_maxima wrote:It appears that the temp sensor is affecting the time the sysem stays active. Would it be advisable to disconnect the temp sensor, or would the system glow indefinitely?

The relay makes a definite clunk when it goes off, you should be able to hear it. On my 82 this happens a few seconds after the light goes out. I wait for the clunk before I try to start but I don't know if that's about 10 seconds or not. I think it happens before then, which IMO is too soon.

If you're not getting a clunk at all then something's wrong.

steve a
The relay clunks OFF shortly after the light goes out (after 4 secs) with the temp sensor connected. I did not hear it ever clunk OFF after the light went out when I had the sensor disconnected.

This makes me wonder if the unplugged sensor is keeping the glow plugs on indefinitely?
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Ben
I moved this to Gen 1 Maxi because of the GP system focus.

I'm not sure if the plugs glow indefinitely when the sensor is unhooked or not. I would try using without the CT sensor and see when/if the relay clunk happens. I would wait at least 25 seconds before shutting the key off.

Al may know whether the plugs glow indefinitely when disconnected from the CT sensor.

steve a

zim - silence!
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

I re-connected the factory system and tried it with the CT sensor connected and disconnected.

With the sensor connected, the light goes out in a couple of seconds (partially warm engine) no clunk. Waited approx. 90 seconds.

With the sensor dis-connected, the light goes out in about 7 seconds, and the #2 relay and GPC clunk (what I deem to be OFF) in about 45 seconds, then the car will start right up.

I need to verify that the plugs are turning off after that 45 sec period, but this bypass may allow me to use the stock system.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

After the engine cooled down a little more, I tested at the GPC at the wires for the #1 and #2 relays.

CTS connected: #1 relay on (11.53v) for approx 10 seconds, then afterglows (11.5v) indefinitely. Will not start after this.

CTS dis-connected: #1 relay on (11.5v) for approx 45 seconds, then afterglows (11.5v) indefinitely. Will not start after this. Cycled 3 times, still no start.

It would start when warmer after 1 cycle with the sensor dis-connected. Maybe the plugs aren't glowing ENOUGH with the factory system.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Ben
Based on commentary in another post related to GP operation here I would say that leaving the CTS unplugged may run the GPs continuously...which is a bad thing.

Steve a

zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

83_maxima wrote:With the sensor connected, the light goes out in a couple of seconds (partially warm engine) no clunk. Waited approx. 90 seconds.
You can't test anything with a partially-warmed engine. The GPC is known to not glow in that circumstance. The WTS lamp will light for anywhere from .5 to two seconds on a warm engine, but the GP relay never fires (and you won't here the thunk when it drops out, because it never came on).
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

83_maxima wrote:After the engine cooled down a little more, I tested at the GPC at the wires for the #1 and #2 relays.

CTS connected: #1 relay on (11.53v) for approx 10 seconds, then afterglows (11.5v) indefinitely. Will not start after this.

CTS dis-connected: #1 relay on (11.5v) for approx 45 seconds, then afterglows (11.5v) indefinitely. Will not start after this. Cycled 3 times, still no start.
Something's not right about either the test point or the GPs here. You may have a bad bus or bus connection. You are testing at the GP relay; make your test point one of the forward GPs instead. That way you are testing the parts that matter.
Regards,
Al S.

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

The procedure I used was for checking the fast glow control unit on page EL-40 of my 83 FSM (the 81 supplement does not have this testing procedure).

I did check the voltage at the #1 relay as well (with sensor disconnected) and got the same results as I did when testing at the GPC - 11.5v for 45 sec after the key is turned on.

NOTE: My results were no where near what the manual specified, but I am also operating under the premise that the CT sensor is faulty, but connected it for comparison purposes.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

asavage wrote:You are testing at the GP relay; make your test point one of the forward GPs instead. That way you are testing the parts that matter.
I cannot seem to get a reading at any of the GPs. Does not mean they don't have voltage because it will start. May be the voltmeter.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If it's the voltmeter, then ALL of your measurements are suspect. You can do very little with flaky test equipment.
Regards,
Al S.

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

asavage wrote:If it's the voltmeter, then ALL of your measurements are suspect. You can do very little with flaky test equipment.
But I've got 12 and change with the same meter at the battery terminals.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

83_maxima wrote:I cannot seem to get a reading at any of the GPs. Does not mean they don't have voltage because it will start. May be the voltmeter.
You can't suspect the voltmeter in one sentence, and vouch for it in the other!

If you aren't getting a voltage reading at the No. 1 GP, then either the voltmeter isn't working, the voltmeter isn't connected well or correctly, or there really isn't voltage there.

You choose ;)
Regards,
Al S.