Got my sd22 running!

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

pidder

Got my sd22 running!

Post by pidder »

Ok, so I installed a nissan sd22 motor and 5 speed tranny into my 1987 suzuki samurai. Finally have it running. Have read every post on here, and here is my story. God the motor out of an 82 720 pickup. Changed all fluids, All new fuel filters, oil filter etc. New fuel. Primed the fuel system and bled the air out of injector pump, Started it up and runs rough and smokes when cold. Bled all the injectors. Have installed a manual glowplug switch on the dash. All new wires and connections, bench tested all glowplugs and are ok. Battery is strong, 850 cold cranking amps. Starts easy but runs rough and smokes until it warms up good then runs perfect. I hit my glowplug switch for about 15 seconds and then start the motor and hold the glowplugs on for about another 30 seconds. I should mention here that I do not have the original glowplug circuit to use nor am I running the original dpc I believe it is called that controls the shut off. I will rig up a manual cable to kill the engine. The only thing I haven't done yet , that I have read on here is compression test and to try advancing the ip timing a hair. Because it runs so nice when warmed up I am hoping that the cold start smoke is a minor issue to be solved. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes to warm up enough to not smoke out the neighbors. I also installed a heater in the rad hose but have not useed it yet. Current temp when I started it today was around zero degrees celsius or 32 degrees farenheit. Took a few runs up and down my long driveway while sitting on an apple box and am impressed with the power over the stock samurai engine. Should also note I am running 3:73 diff gears with 31 inch tires. Any thoughts on what to try first to cure the cold start smoking would be greatly appreciated. I also have 2 more sd25's in my garage, so would injectors be the same as in the sd22 or a different part number? Thanks. Norm