sd22 swap into mitsubishi mighty-maxx 4X4

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

superbyrd

sd22 swap into mitsubishi mighty-maxx 4X4

Post by superbyrd »

hi folks. new to this board. i am in the process of picking up an 1981 nissan 720 with the sd-22 and 5-speed. it is a good running 2-wheel drive long bed. the truck runs and drives,but body is complete and rotten turd. i have a 1991 mitsubishi mighty max 4X4 reg-cab short bed pickup with a 3.0 liter v-6 and 5-speed transmission. my plan is to transplant the sd-22 into my mitsubishi. anyone out there put one of these diesels in a mitsubishi?? any ideas whether the sd-22 would come near to bolting up to my existing tranny? or,any ideas on adapting the nissan tranny to the existing mitsubishi transfer case? any input is greatly appreciated. i am a 20 year veteran tool maker/machinist/welder/fabricater,and been working on,building,and restoring my machines since i was 15 (40 now) so if i have to make an adapter plate or something,no big deal. just curious if anyone here has any experience with a swap like this. thanks in advance.
if a big woman falls in the woods,and there is no one there to hear it,..do the trees still laugh???