Nissan SD25 Diesel Engine

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

rustie

Post by rustie »

Hey Nissan diesel affectionados....I'm looking for a quality low mileage/low time Nissan SD25 engine (complete as possible). I've searched all the current archives and found very few options.

Anyone have anything on current availability for this engine?
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Where are you located ?
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
rustie

Post by rustie »

I'm in Southern Calif, but can travel a reasonable distance to get the right item.
rustie

Post by rustie »

Anyone?? (bump)
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I don't think your being ignored I am just not certain that anyone has one.

There is a brand new SD22 that "sootfart" has and has had for a while now. Not sure why no one has snapped it up. I believe he is in Wash. someplace.
I will search for his posting and link it.

It is an industrial engine, but you can certainly put it where the SD 25 was.

I know its not a robust as the 25 but there were tons of them in marine/generator/forklift applications and they stood up very well.
I know "back in the day" we sold hundreds of them for marine and converted just as many or more for small generators.

Biggest PITA is the oil filter housing and having to buy cartridges, but am pretty sure you can adapt a spin on. Bullet proof glow plugs and I think it even has the air cleaner on it.

EDIT;

here is the posting
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
rustie

Nissan Diesel

Post by rustie »

Thanks plenzen!
rustie

Picked up SD22 from sootfart

Post by rustie »

Well....I drove all the way up from Ventura, CA to Puyullap, WA last week, and bought the yellow SD22 from "sootfart". Jerry is one really nice guy! He helped at every turn to load the engine into an already loaded (rental) vehicle. His little diesel tractor and brand new engine hoist did the trick! And, the engine was indeed new.

The exterior yellow paint was well worn, but for 25+ years, it's what I would expect. Although, the insides were all new, with all openings either greased shut (on exposed female threads), or covered with original Nissan seals on the intake, exhaust and oil vents (all factory tape was still sealed and intact). Internals were unused, unspun and pristine. It also turned over by hand very smoothly...and it still had compression (no rusty/grinding feel). Cylinders were smoooooth! Thanks again Jerry!!

So plenzen....you mentioned there may be an oil filter conversion kit to change the cartridge oil filter over to a spin on filter (like the SD25). Any idea where I could locate that adaptor/kit?

Also, I'm sure the exposed original woven Nissan "inside out" hoses are age/hardened and should be changed before operation ("J" bend behind the injector pump and "U" bend at the water pump). Any idea what these hoses can be replaced with...and who best to get these replacements from? Does Nissan still offer them??

Any other suggestions prior to light-off would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Chris....
rustie

SD22

Post by rustie »

Also....was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to match up an existing blue engine enamel to the original Nissan blue?

I've been searching, and although some posts suggest Chrysler or "old Ford" blue, I think a better match by far seems to be Chevy blue:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/shw-de1609/overview/

Any thoughts???
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Sorry so long to replay

I cannot recall the conversion kit for the oil filter sorry, but thought that it was to a PH8 filter,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,,, it's been 36 years so ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,shrug.

The hoses are still available from Nissan and I will look for the part numbers.
I in fact have a couple spare sets but are for SD 25,
Not sure if they are the same or not but appear to be.
Those hoses that are on it are pretty durable and if they were not exposed to sunlight, heat, anti freeze, etc might still be ok.
Squeeze them and see if they feel hard and brittle, but I think you will be surprised.
I changed the last two that were still on my truck ( for the CSD) a month ago. Not because they were going to fail, but because I had to take them off to remove the fuel pump. I kept them in fact as spares as they seemed just fine. They were the OE hoses.

Just a bit or a heads up to you, make sure you air hose all the thread holes that have or had grease in them.
And air hose them good too.
There were a couple of engines that had the bottoms of the holes "hydraulic" off inside the engine and that sucked.

The "blue" color we painted all the SD's back then was in fact a ford color, and then we went to Chrysler blue as the gas marine engines were that color, then we used some Hemi Orange as the "super bee" marine engines were that color and some customers liked that,
Then we started painting them yellow again, and then it was customer choice after that.
They all came yellow like that one you got and it was in fact the exact same as that. FLAT finish.
Bottom line is that there were lots of colors, but the darker blue that I think you are referring to was the Ford color.

I will search for hose numbers a bit later today and post then

Congrats on your purchase. The industrial governor on that pump I think is way less trouble than the one that came in the automotive application.
IMO that is.
The glow plugs on that are pretty bullet proof too and as I recall we used to use a simple AC Delco relay and push button. There were some marine guys that used to hold the button down for 20 to 30 seconds after it started to smooth out the idle. I cannot recall ever changing a glow plug on a service call either. Not to say that I did not, but it was not a problem by any means.
All this being said they were all on the west coast and at worse had 30 degree weather to start in about once every three years. You should have no trouble were you are.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

"Hydraulicing"
A blind hole with liquid in it can prevent a bolt from going all the way. Make sure most grease or oil is removed from a blind hole before starting a bolt in it.

The SD 11.5v or 12v glow plugs are almost indestructible, if slow.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
rustie

Post by rustie »

Good info plenzen...thanks. Just received the Dupli-color Chevy Blue, and it looks a little too gray for my liking. Now to order some Ford Blue!

The hoses do seem stiff, but they still flex (barely) without making any crackling noises (indicative of hose rot). They will likely work fine, but it's always best to be ready with some new replacement hoses should they begin leaking under pressure. I have another forklift with an SD25, and the hoses do indeed seem the same. If you want to sell one set, let me know (PM), and I'll send you some $$$. Probably a good time to change those wire style hose clamps too.

Your thoughts on the greased female threads is a critically important one....and something I would have NEVER thought of....grease hydraulicing....uugghh.....would THAT be a pisser after all this effort!!!

Thanks again for all the info! Chris....
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The OEM wire hose clamps are more effective than typical worm-drive hose clamps. The OEM clamps apply pressure all the way around; most worm-drives don't, the area under the worm does not compress equally.

I always try to retain the OEM clamps.

On blind holes: it used to be fairly common for people to crack their block when tightening a head bolt into a blind hole that had a bunch of oil in the bottom. Less viscous fluids will work their way up the threads, but not oil or grease.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

rustie

Congratulations on the purchase.
Because many of us expressed interest in this engine (and i was the first to respond in Nov of 2011), i got to ask.

What did you pay for it?
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

asavage wrote:The OEM wire hose clamps are more effective than typical worm-drive hose clamps. The OEM clamps apply pressure all the way around; most worm-drives don't, the area under the worm does not compress equally.

I always try to retain the OEM clamps.

On blind holes: it used to be fairly common for people to crack their block when tightening a head bolt into a blind hole that had a bunch of oil in the bottom. Less viscous fluids will work their way up the threads, but not oil or grease.
Agreed 100% with Al on the OE type hose clamps. They work the best IMO. If you can keep them do so

The "U" shaped hose is B1069-61500
The "?" shaped ( for lack of a better description) is : 21308-10G10

Just trying to recall what other ones are on the 22.
Cannot recall if there is a small one from the bottom of the oil cooler to the base of the oil filter ?
Yes/No ?

P
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
seasemesnap

Post by seasemesnap »

I have extra Sd25 in my rusted Nissan Chassis broke my a arm in half now cannot remove a frame bushing bolt,bought new a arm -This Engine purrs but now have to find a pathfinder and shange motor mounts to the shock style and change fuel tank-Id sell my truck for 800 has a new alt,Starter and exahst
40 year old import loving adolesent.