SD25 Inline IP / SD25 VE IP / TD27t FAQ

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

plenzen

Re: SD25 Inline IP / SD25 VE IP / TD27t FAQ

Post by plenzen »

Well if you decide to change out the one that you have and if the fuel heater is still working on yours and if you'd be willing to part with it I would like to get it from you .

Its just a short 9 hour drive from here to there !
JK

Where are you buying your fuel from that you are doing your filters that often ?
The FSM says every 50,000km or 48 months unless your in extreme conditions. If your getting your fuel out of an old farm storage tank I guess sooner is better, but from a retailer that pumps a lot of diesel you may be wasting your money, unless of course it satisfies your OCD side then it's perfectly OK. :wink:

I was doing mine 2 times a year when I first got the truck and cutting the filters open to have a look and found that I was cutting open clean filters.
I put a clear water/trap screen on the firewall ( Yanmar part) that will trap the really big pieces and give me an idea on how much water is there before it gets to the Nissan trap. After that Yanmar screen I have an inline fine screen type Mercedes filter ( 20 micron) and then from there it goes to the Nissan water trap/heater and then a Baldwin fuel filter. I cant recall what the micron rating is on the Baldwin but I think it was 10 mics. I had been using Donaldson filters ( oil and fuel ) but the parts dealer I have here was having to get them out of YVR. The Baldwins have comparable specs to the Donaldsons and the oil filter has the tube inside it as well so I use them.
When they ( GCL fuel systems) rebuilt the pump they said it was in pretty good shape inside for it's years. The seals were cracked and were leaking. I had them replace the transfer pump and they put a sleeve in the top cover and changed out anything that showed any wear.

Dad had a put a Racor 100 on the firewall for all the years he had it and I was having issues with it leaking, and, it was a PITA to change the filter, and O rings were really difficult to find so I took it off and threw it away.

The Baldwin FF # is a BF954 and the Wix inline Mercedes filter is a 33006.
I think that either Al or Phillip may have mentioned this Mercedes part at some point on this forum.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
ehtrain

Post by ehtrain »

lol yes my ocd for fuel filters on diesel is bad. I'm so used to working on heavy equipment that are often neglected its just one of those parts worth changing vs paying for injection pump repairs etc. and the conditions the truck is being put through are fairly extreme. sand, water, mud, high dust, +40c and -40c yearly. which is pretty much saskatchewan actually haha

im running wix 33393 filters on both sides. but I also have the proper filter part# now so I will cross them to w/e they are when I reassemble the beast
ehtrain

Post by ehtrain »

I took my vacuum pump apart today and took some pics. the case o-rings seem to be leaking.
Attachments
i drew this badly on paint program. the red area is incoming oil pressure from the engine. acting inside the rotor assembly and the vanes itself pushing the vanes harder on the outer housing. the yellow area is the acting surface which creates the seal for vacuum once there is small amount of oil seeping around the rotor assembly. the blue area is where the vacuum is created and the exhausted oil is drained from
i drew this badly on paint program. the red area is incoming oil pressure from the engine. acting inside the rotor assembly and the vanes itself pushing the vanes harder on the outer housing. the yellow area is the acting surface which creates the seal for vacuum once there is small amount of oil seeping around the rotor assembly. the blue area is where the vacuum is created and the exhausted oil is drained from
IMAG0428-2.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 6791 times
it appears to be a vane pump
it appears to be a vane pump
IMAG0428.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 6791 times
3 phillips screws hold the cover plate on. which also doubles as the mounting surface to the back of the alternator
3 phillips screws hold the cover plate on. which also doubles as the mounting surface to the back of the alternator
IMAG0427.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 6791 times
lr160-422b hitachi alternator from the sd25 VE. Some quick research says the td27 alternator was possibly 80amp or 70amp. this case says its 60 amp
lr160-422b hitachi alternator from the sd25 VE. Some quick research says the td27 alternator was possibly 80amp or 70amp. this case says its 60 amp
IMAG0426.jpg (930.61 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I believe that Al ( or maybe it was Phillip ) had some success removing this alternator and using a Motorola unit and replacing the vacuum pump with an electric one and an accumulator mounted on the inner fender. Apparently the pumps fail after a while and are pretty much made out of Unobtainium now.
Were you able to source an O ring for it ?

P
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
ehtrain

Post by ehtrain »

hey thanks for the reply! I have been thinking about ditching this alternator for my 130amp beast from my old 4cyl gas. my only issue becomes vacuum pump then. I was thinking maybe a vw or new toyota diesel?

I just purchased an alternator LR160-437 off ebay. this is supposed to be a 70amp alternator with the vacuum pump on it. Nissan OEM still listed the alternator listing at $463! and the vacuum pump at $264! i was like hell no. all my alternators have started leaking from worn oil seal surface inside the casing that seals the vacuum pump.

as for the O-rings they are silicone 500F rating. the larger case o-ring is 70 durometer and the face seal is 90 durometer I believe. I went to the local hydraulic shop who ordered me a couple new o-rings. I tried replacing the o-rings in the datsun 720 inline IP alternator and the larger case o-ring is much smaller then the VE IP alternator. However the face seal to alternator was the same. So this would indicate to me the vacuum pump between the 2 alternators is different and not swappable. however you should be able to use either alternator on either engine. the regulator plug is what changes and output amperage.

I cant seem to post anymore pictures. so the package seems to say S70 037 is the larger 1\16in o-ring and the face o-ring is S70 021 and it is also a 1/16in. that is a 70 durometer face seal not a 90 like I believe that purplish colour is. But should work fine.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Might have to search this site for the vacuum pump Al had Maybe in the buy and sell or maybe reach out with a PM. He was selling one for sure at one time but I think it may have been Phillip that used one or even Galen way back. Pretty sure someone did. I think they merely cut the extended part of the alt shaft off and used the OE alt as the pump was all that was pooched.
Somehow Harbour Freight comes to mind but we don't have those here in Canada.
Princess auto is the closest thing we have. I believe.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
ehtrain

Post by ehtrain »

here's some various alternator related threads as i find them i will add more. search function seems to not want to work for me haha

datsun 720 alternator info http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... 7083#p7083

vacuum pump alternatives http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... =10&t=1055

datsun 720 pump mods from new alternator http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... =10&t=1822

more info on pump o-rings http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=909

some info on the rear alternator shaft seal http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... 93&start=0

heres some info on the 0-rings in the heat exchanger http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56

some info on injectors http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144

apparently a company that sells turbo kits for the SD engines!? http://www.turboglide.com.au/nissan/

injection pump info http://www.vepump.cn/CZZ.htm
niseamer

Post by niseamer »

ehtrain wrote:hahaha I get fussy with some things........may make filters easier to change. I deleted the factory mounting bracket "thing" for a piece of angle iron since I could not conceive of how nissan figures the filters are easily spun off -on during and oil change without a bunch of bolts involved. Mind you I am VERY fussy about filter changes. oil is always every 5,000km and fuel filter every 10,000km.
I agree, very awkward. So far I have had trouble finding a water separator....any ideas what crosses over to a more standard manufacturer from nissan part on the SD25? I haven't changed it in a while and am getting worried.
I will try to figure out how to post a picture of the one I have.

Thanks you ALL so much for putting this stuff up here. Soooo much appreciated!
Cheers
Niseamer
Attachments
Nissan fuel filteres-1.JPG
Nissan fuel filteres-1.JPG (971.18 KiB) Viewed 6500 times
Fuel filter-separator.JPG
Fuel filter-separator.JPG (720.88 KiB) Viewed 6500 times
Nissan fuel filters.JPG
Nissan fuel filters.JPG (736.28 KiB) Viewed 6500 times
Last edited by niseamer 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Why are you wanting to change the water separator ? It merely needs to be drained.
I have one here I can get you the part humber for it if you want.
What vehicle do you have ?
Is it a D21 with the filter/separator/heater on the firewall ?
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
niseamer

Post by niseamer »

plenzen wrote:Why are you wanting to change the water separator ? It merely needs to be drained.
I have one here I can get you the part humber for it if you want.
What vehicle do you have ?
Is it a D21 with the filter/separator/heater on the firewall ?
Thanks
The drain won't turn.
I got some pictures downloaded (above) now. Yes they are on the right side of the vehicle's firewall.

Cheers
Niseamer
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Disconnect the wire and the whole assembly spins off like the filter. You can then "massage" the drain open. Don't break it. ! Be careful with the float inside too. Wash it out and I used brake clean to rinse and dry. Use some dielectric silicone grease when you put it back on both the drain o ring and filter housing o ring. This will allow you to remove easier in future. Just a bit over finger tight is good for the drain.
I will get you part number but it's only for the water trap housing. It does not have the float and drain plug with it. They are sold separately.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Just an additional post here.
I usually remove the whole assembly when I do the filter. It comes off pretty easy and is much easier to deal with on a bench rather than screwing with it on the truck. The plugs are idiot proof and there are only 2 lines to remove. Much easier to pre fill the trap and filter too before hooking it back up. Less pumping and air purge drama as well.

The Wix filter is a Mercedes diesel part. I use it before anything gets to the filter/separator housing. It's an inline type of thing with a pretty fine screen in it and is somewhat transparent. You can see how dirty it's getting which will give you an idea on the probable condition of your main fuel filter. It's pretty cheap too and easy to replace. It will extend your fuel fitter life by quite a bit. If your buying fuel from a reputable busy station you should not have to worry about fuel filter for at least a year or more.
Just FYI. I use a Baldwin fuel filter # BF954. It had a better micron rating than the Wix but the wix is a good filter as well.
HTH
Attachments
20160104_193428.jpg
20160104_193428.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 6500 times
20160104_193521.jpg
20160104_193521.jpg (979.55 KiB) Viewed 6500 times
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
niseamer

Post by niseamer »

plenzen wrote:Just an additional post here.
I usually remove the whole assembly when I do the filter. It comes off pretty easy and is much easier to deal with on a bench rather than screwing with it on the truck. The plugs are idiot proof and there are only 2 lines to remove. Much easier to pre fill the trap and filter too before hooking it back up. Less pumping and air purge drama as well.

The Wix filter is a Mercedes diesel part. I use it before anything gets to the filter/separator housing. It's an inline type of thing with a pretty fine screen in it and is somewhat transparent. You can see how dirty it's getting which will give you an idea on the probable condition of your main fuel filter. It's pretty cheap too and easy to replace. It will extend your fuel fitter life by quite a bit. If your buying fuel from a reputable busy station you should not have to worry about fuel filter for at least a year or more.
Just FYI. I use a Baldwin fuel filter # BF954. It had a better micron rating than the Wix but the wix is a good filter as well.
HTH

Thank you, thank you! Will order one today - I live in a small community with very limited 'resources".
I will post an FYI description of why I am doing this right now when I get it all going again in the hopes it will help someone else with a similar problem.

Cheers

Niseamer
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

OK Good luck
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
ziper1221

Post by ziper1221 »

My truck was modified by the previous owner to have a fuel water separator like this mounted to the firewall, before the OEM filter. It has 2, 10, and 30 micron filter elements available.

1982 720 SD22
Florida