Anyone looking for IP diaphragms?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Driftwood

Anyone looking for IP diaphragms?

Post by Driftwood »

I'm doing some work on an 82' Datsun 720 w/ an SD22 and have received a lot of help from many of you on this forum...Thanks!

I had a hell of a time sourcing a diaphragm but I just recently found a guy on ebay who was selling some diaphragms out of a diesel shop in England. I know a lot of you out there are in the same situation I was in so I'd like to help the community out.

I have (2) with a part # 1 420 503 903 manufactured by Flag (Germany). Listed for Mercedes MW pump as well. I put one of these in my IP to make sure it was compatible. The only thing different from the original is that it is lacking is the tab that protrudes out on the outer aluminum ring that slides into the governor housing. I haven't seemed to have any problems and everything else translates over well.

The other (2) are also manufactured by Flag and the part # is 155020-2120.

I'll sell them for what I paid for, which is $65. I have 4 of them left so get them while you can. PM me if you need one.
Last edited by Driftwood 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Anyone looking for IP diaphragms?

Post by asavage »

Driftwood wrote:Listed for Mercedes MW pump as well.
That's what I suspected. The MB 220D and older used the pneumatic governor and I thought that it looked an awful lot like the one used in the SDs.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

How bad does the truck run when this is needed? (How do i know when (-not if-) i need one?
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I imagine it smokes badly from overfuelling.
SmokeyAz

Post by SmokeyAz »

Anybody have any luck finding one?
Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

Yes, I actually have one left you need one. See above posting for description, etc.
SmokeyAz

Post by SmokeyAz »

Thank you for the offer Driftwood, but I might of sourced one (will let you know). Any tips on actually getting the diaphragm out of there. When I remove the housing something is still holding it in?
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

See the shaft on the back of the diaphragm with the hole in it, that goes on the shaft sticking out of the injection pump with a keeper, see photo below.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
jamesquay

Post by jamesquay »

mine tore the other day. got real discouraged looking for replacements on the internets, then called my local IP repair shop who's a Zexel dealer... he's got a handful, if anyone needs one, they're like $90. mind you, this is in a region (southeast louisiana) where diesel datsuns DO NOT exist... couldn't believe my luck.

jefferson diesel
504 340 5162

oh yeah, it's listed as a slightly different ZEXEL part # suffix... but it's the same damn thing.
Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

I still have one more left I'm getting rid of for $65 plus shipping if you need one.
qwagod

Post by qwagod »

I don't know if you saw my PM but I'd love to take that diaphragm off your hands.
SmokeyAz

Post by SmokeyAz »

How the heck do you get the pin off of the back holding the diaphragm in?
Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

[quote="SmokeyAz"]How the heck do you get the pin off of the back holding the diaphragm in?[/quote]

Small flathead screwdriver to flatten the legs, hook type pick to pull out the eyelet part of the pin, patience, and a steady hand. :wink: