Lift pump isn't getting it done UPDATE: Problem solved!

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

cseger1

Re: Lift pump isn't getting it done UPDATE: Still losing pri

Post by cseger1 »

TOYoung wrote:
I found them at a tractor supply but they only had 6. I annealed 2 of the old ones which means-heating them cherry red and dropping them in water.

I think you need those banjo fittings to be air tight. Even a little air(hard to see the bubbles) will cause problems.

Aha! Good advice, I am in Tractor Supply all the time. Never thought to look for the washers there. Are they in the specialty hardware section or the tractor parts section?

Yes, I still have bubbles and the motor is running unbelievably rough. Missing a hit on every rotation it seems like. I replaced all the GPs (with the recommended slow glow type) and tested the relay. I don't have an "afterglow box" but once I turn my key back from "start" the GP relay stays on for another 20-30 seconds and then clunks off. The truck will run very rough while the GPs are still on and then shudders to a halt. I hope it's air. I ran it for 30 seconds or so and then did the purge screws at the IP and they came out clear, but there could still be plenty of air waiting to clear the injector lines and if small amounts are sucking in around the banjo boolt, obviously that could be a problem.
Christian
1981 720 SD22
TOYoung

Re: Lift pump isn't getting it done UPDATE: Still losing pri

Post by TOYoung »

These crush washers were not a Nissan part. The guy took the time to take my banjo fitting and the stud 'out back', and returned with a bag of six crush washers for another diesel tractor(I can't remember the name!) That was all they had and could order another 6 so they are available.

The brand doesn't matter as long as the diameter fits the stud. These in fact fit better(diameter) than some that I removed. They were quite thick but crushed down nicely.

The bad news--The 6 washers cost 46.00. But it's a rare part I suppose. These crush washers should be easy to find. I would guess the banjo fittings are a standard Bosch fitting.

I wonder if anyone knows of a good source here?
cseger1

Re: Lift pump isn't getting it done UPDATE: Problem solved!

Post by cseger1 »

I have solved my issues. The hose clamp I was using to go from the hard line on the gas tank to the input side of the lifty pump wasn't sealing the junction fully. I switched it out and re-primed. Everything has been holding with no bubbles for a few days now.

I am now working with a runner, but it's not as smooth as I think it should be. See this thread:

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3480
Christian
1981 720 SD22