Fuel hoses

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

surfingnexpa

Fuel hoses

Post by surfingnexpa »

Hello all. I am currently dealing with an elusive vacuum leak on my SD 22. I have hopefully narrowed it down to one of the hoses with a crimped on banjo fitting. The hoses have some cracks in them and I would like to simply replace them in hopes of fixing the issue. Problem is I can't find these anywhere and it looks like I will have to fabricate them myself. Unfortunately I am not on location where the engine is (it's on my boat in another country) so getting the correct size hose, banjo fitting, bolts, and gaskets are not possible. Does anyone out there know where I might find these or what the sizes are to have these made? A part number would help as well. I've attached a picture of the same engine as mine and circled the hoses I'm talking about. Thank you.
circles image.jpg
circles image.jpg (159.57 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
TOYoung

Re: Fuel hoses

Post by TOYoung »

I just replaced those hoses on my boats SD22. Each was weather checked and weeping.
I cut the banjo fitting crimps off with a hacksaw blade.

With the fitting in a bench vise, I was able to cut them an a slight angle to keep from nicking the mating surface on the banjo fitting. It took two cuts, 180 degrees apart. Then a little careful prying, and off they came.

I used a marine grade 5/16" fuel hose and simple hose clamps as they're not under any pressure. It worked like a charm. The problem was finding new crush washers. See the ongoing post above...http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3483
surfingnexpa

Post by surfingnexpa »

Thanks for the response. Just so I'm understanding you correctly, you removed the banjo fitting by cutting the crimped area. Then installed it on a new hose with a hose clamp?

Do you remember what size the crush washers were so I can ask the tractor supply?
TOYoung

Post by TOYoung »

That's right. Cut the outer band or ferule off, being careful not to score the mating surface of the fitting. After removing the hose, you'll see 'banjo' has a barb on the end of the hose side. Push the hose on and clamp. That's it.

I don't know the size of the crush washer so take the fitting with you. The interior hole has to be large enough for the fitting bolt to fit through(doesn't need to be a tight fit-but not too oversized, either), so the washers outer ring fits on the fittings mating area. Thickness doesn't matter, they just have to be a 'crush washer' in order to seal the fitting.

The nice thing is, once you do this, you'll never need to do it again. If the hose goes, just replace the hose without disturbing the fittings.