burned ignitition wire!

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

byrdlova

burned ignitition wire!

Post by byrdlova »

I found a wire runing out of harness hooked in a 2nd conect spot on the positive battery that had burned i cut and replaced section.It come s from ignition that a friend hooked up without key start u just use screwdriver.Isstill coulden't git it to fire so new starter no luck. the batteries good but the headlights wont come on .parking lights come on. The cd player was trying to activate on its own so i disconected it.What would be your steps in starting blu pearl?thx Anthony!
byrdlova

Re: burned ignitition wire!

Post by byrdlova »

Hola, I found a smaller {nota tight fit} 10 a ignition fuse. gunna replace and see then.Right when i peplaced burned wire and used starter to fire herup i heard the normal sound beeps for glow plugs.After the first start attempt no fire and the wire that burned had a nother yellow conector spot that shot apart froom that first attempt to start her.I reconected it and clamped it together snug..Since then no sound comes from the glow plug warmup device .Hmmm?I am challenged w/many thing mechanics being one, so i guess i should replace random ignition wire to seperate positive batterey post or may be my old friend bypassed the normal conector for a reason?Hummm,Help.Thx.A.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Do yo have these fusible links anymore?
What type of injection pump you have on your diesel engine?
An inline injection pump?
Or a VE type injection pump?
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
byrdlova

Post by byrdlova »

Yup . i still have those fuse links.Guy bypassed those w/ a wire direct to poss on battery. this was the burned wire i replaced.Now only the park lights come on and nothing else. :idea:
I checked the fuse box and it no burned fuses. I have replaced starter. and battery is legit. i am a novice and apreciate your info :!: Oh , yea! I HAVE THE KIKI INJECTOR PUMP- UPRIGHT!
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Ok, so what your saying is that it turns over but it will not start, correct?

Does the glow plug light come on when you turn the ignition on with the mentioned screwdriver?
Can you hear it click after a little while, that is when the light goes off?
You must understand that if you have no power to the DPC module, the injection pump controller is never going to move, and if it don't move to the start position, or at least to the run position, it is never going to start because the engine is not getting fuel.
First you need to get a volt meter that you understand, turn the ignition on and make sure you have power to the glow plugs, you need to know if you have power to them the moment you turn the key on, then you can move to the next step of starting the engine.
Once you KNOW you have power to the glow plugs, then just to get it started you need to disconnect the injection pump controller arm from the injection pump and let the injection pump move to the run position, then turn on the ignition, let the glow plugs warm up(about a minute if warm outside), then try to start it.
I would suggest that you get the fusible link issue fixed, there are 4 wires on the 81/82 diesel 720s, and you need power(12V) to all four of them.
Where are you located?
byrdlova

Post by byrdlova »

:shock: glow plug power check tommorow. many thanks!
byrdlova

Post by byrdlova »

Hola,
I cleaned up the wires and fuseable link,( that was bypassed ie; burned ignition wire.
My alternator fried too!
Any tips for the next start attempt?With new alternator and new battery cables and attatchments.
This is my first elec problem to solve on own and of course w/da help of ya'll.
Sweet.
Blue Pearl. :idea: :arrow:
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

byrdlova wrote:Hola,
I cleaned up the wires and fuseable link,( that was bypassed ie; burned ignition wire.
My alternator fried too!
Any tips for the next start attempt?With new alternator and new battery cables and attatchments.
This is my first elec problem to solve on own and of course w/da help of ya'll.
Sweet.
Blue Pearl. :idea: :arrow:

As I said in the post above, once you KNOW you have power to the glow plugs, then just to get it started you need to disconnect the injection pump controller arm from the injection pump and let the injection pump move to the run position, then turn on the ignition, let the glow plugs warm up(about a minute if warm outside), then try to start it.
This above bypasses the injection pump controller, once you have it running, then you can start working on the other wiring issues.