oil out exhaust manifold=head gasket issue

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

lwbrown04

oil out exhaust manifold=head gasket issue

Post by lwbrown04 »

Hi all. New to the forum so please forgive any breach of etiquette. I'm looking for a picture or a breakdown of the head gasket and any o rings or sealing rings that go with it. The application is for a 1981 nissan pick up with the sd22 diesel. The problem is that I rebuilt this motor but wasn't the one who removed the head or the gaskets that go with it. I assembled it how I thought it should be but I've obviously missed something. I have lots of oil coming out the exhaust manifold. Thought I might have had a plugged vent tube so I used a straight tube in its place and no better. If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful for any help or info. Thank you.
waynosworld

Re: oil out exhaust manifold=head gasket issue

Post by waynosworld »

lwbrown04 wrote:Hi all. New to the forum so please forgive any breach of etiquette. I'm looking for a picture or a breakdown of the head gasket and any o rings or sealing rings that go with it. The application is for a 1981 nissan pick up with the sd22 diesel. The problem is that I rebuilt this motor but wasn't the one who removed the head or the gaskets that go with it. I assembled it how I thought it should be but I've obviously missed something. I have lots of oil coming out the exhaust manifold. Thought I might have had a plugged vent tube so I used a straight tube in its place and no better. If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful for any help or info. Thank you.

Did you use a stock Nissan metal headgasket, or did you use a fiber aftermarket headgasket?
As I recall the fiber aftermarket gaskets have an "O" ring of sorts that needs to be installed where the oil galley going into the head is, I could find this oil ring/gasket in the stock OEM headgasket kit.
I only come on here once a day in the evening, if you want a faster response, send me an email/message.
Where are you located?

Here is a link to an ebay OEM looking gasket for an SD25 with the orange O ring in the photo, did you install that orange O ring?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-84-86-72 ... e8&vxp=mtr
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
lwbrown04

Post by lwbrown04 »

Thanks for getting back to me. In regards to the question of whether the orange oring got installed or not I really don't know if it did or not but if I had to guess I would have to say no. That was kinda wondering. I didn't know what orings went where or even if it had any or not. That was why I was trying to get a picture. I wanted to see what I might have missed and where they go. I'm pulling the head in the morning and I'm thinking it's gonna be pretty obvious. I'll let you know what I find out. And yeah, it was an aftermarket head set that I know better than to use. I allowed the owner to bring his own parts. Shame on me.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

lwbrown04 wrote:Thanks for getting back to me. In regards to the question of whether the orange oring got installed or not I really don't know if it did or not but if I had to guess I would have to say no. That was kinda wondering. I didn't know what orings went where or even if it had any or not. That was why I was trying to get a picture. I wanted to see what I might have missed and where they go. I'm pulling the head in the morning and I'm thinking it's gonna be pretty obvious. I'll let you know what I find out. And yeah, it was an aftermarket head set that I know better than to use. I allowed the owner to bring his own parts. Shame on me.

To be honest, I have so many different engines around here that I could not recall if it was the diesel engine that had the O-ring or not.
The OEM headgaskets are made of 2 pieces of metal with a lot of rubber gasket material in the headgasket itself, and without looking at the top of the block itself, I cannot recall which hole the orange O-ring goes in in the headgasket, it's been several years since I had to do a headgasket on any of my diesel engines, but the neighbor down the road has done a couple, and he always talks about that O-ring.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.