A additional oil cooler

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

L-R Series 1

A additional oil cooler

Post by L-R Series 1 »

I had a SD22 from 1982 in my S1 L-R from 1956. That engine sadly committed Harakiri.

So now i have a SD25 from 1985 and i had to use the oil pan from the SD22 since the one on the "new" engine did not fit beside the front propeller shaft.

I change the oil pump from the SD22int to the SD25 and i´m now wondering if i need a additional oil cooler since the design of the original oil pan suggest it´s designed for extra cooling.

Another question: On the front of the engine block on the SD25 there is some kind of sensor with 2 wires coming out from it. Is that a sensor for oil temperature?
waynosworld

Re: A additional oil cooler

Post by waynosworld »

L-R Series 1 wrote:I had a SD22 from 1982 in my S1 L-R from 1956. That engine sadly committed Harakiri.

So now i have a SD25 from 1985 and i had to use the oil pan from the SD22 since the one on the "new" engine did not fit beside the front propeller shaft.

I change the oil pump from the SD22int to the SD25 and i´m now wondering if i need a additional oil cooler since the design of the original oil pan suggest it´s designed for extra cooling.

Another question: On the front of the engine block on the SD25 there is some kind of sensor with 2 wires coming out from it. Is that a sensor for oil temperature?

Need a photo of the sensor, if it's on the side of the timing gear cover on the front of the engine it makes me think it is the RPM sensor, I have never seen one before.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.