Allow me to introduce....

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

crabber

Allow me to introduce....

Post by crabber »

....Myself!

I have been lurking about for awhile. I have an SD 22 in my commercial fishing boat for an auxiliary engine. These little engines are really tough! This is our second one since 1996.

Anyway, we got a rebuilt SD25 with a strange butterfly on the intake manifold, and plumbing to the injection pump. I think it is a vacuum throttle?? It was for a forklift we were told.?.

We use this engine to run our refridgeration compressor and hydraulic generator.

Not quite sure about this governor. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Ian Jones
waynosworld

Re: Allow me to introduce....

Post by waynosworld »

It is indeed a vacuum throttle, and it should tell you what the governor is set at on a tag.

crabber wrote:....Myself!

I have been lurking about for awhile. I have an SD 22 in my commercial fishing boat for an auxiliary engine. These little engines are really tough! This is our second one since 1996.

Anyway, we got a rebuilt SD25 with a strange butterfly on the intake manifold, and plumbing to the injection pump. I think it is a vacuum throttle?? It was for a forklift we were told.?.

We use this engine to run our refridgeration compressor and hydraulic generator.

Not quite sure about this governor. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Ian Jones
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
crabber

Post by crabber »

Thanks for the info!

There is a lever at the governor looking like a throttle, and another lever on the intake. I don't quite understand how the throttle works on this engine. I have been searching for a manual for the vacuum throttle, but have not had much luck.

-Ian
jim bob

Post by jim bob »

If you have an in line injection pump, the governor is mounted on the rear of the pump.There is a diaphragm in the governor which requires a few drops of mineral oil every 1500 miles or so to keep it pliable. There are two lines from the governor to the air intake, and the butterfly valve, in the intake manifold. The diaphragm should be checked for leaks with a vacuum pump,