Got it up and running

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

SmokeyAz

Got it up and running

Post by SmokeyAz »

New injection pump diaphragm and battery and after sitting for at least 5 years its up and running. A lot of white smoke when accelerating but it could be old fuel?

Few issues though. A very small fuel leak dripping on the ground. Fuel guage doesnt work. Also, I can turn the key to the off position but the truck continues to run.
waynosworld

Re: Got it up and running

Post by waynosworld »

SmokeyAz wrote:New injection pump diaphragm and battery and after sitting for at least 5 years its up and running. A lot of white smoke when accelerating but it could be old fuel?

Few issues though. A very small fuel leak dripping on the ground. Fuel guage doesnt work. Also, I can turn the key to the off position but the truck continues to run.

Where are you located?
There is a plug in the wiring going to the injection pump controller below the injection pump, while it is off, unplug the unit and then plug it back in, see if that changes anything, if that doesn't work, then unplug and plug it back in while it is running.
Have you removed/adjusted/timed the injection pump recently, sometimes the injection pump control rod binds when the pump has been adjusted.
Your issue could also be the injection pump controller went bad, the DPC module could be bad, there are a lot of things that could have went wrong, the IP controller rod could have fell off the IP or controller also from all the vibration these engines have.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
SmokeyAz

Post by SmokeyAz »

I'm in Phoenix, Az.

Do I access the plug from underneath or can I reach it from above? No I have not removed/adjusted/timed the injection pump recently. Is the timing something that I could do myself?
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

SmokeyAz wrote:I'm in Phoenix, Az.

Do I access the plug from underneath or can I reach it from above? No I have not removed/adjusted/timed the injection pump recently. Is the timing something that I could do myself?

The plug I am talking about is on the passenger side just on the firewall side of the battery, the bundle of wires lead to the injection pump controller under the injection pump, there is a plug part way down that bundle of wires.
I have had Datsun diesel truck owners come over to my house because it will not shut off, and a couple minutes later it shuts off fine, all I did was unplug and plug that plug/connection back in, it seems to fix it, maybe the plug prongs are dirty, it doesn't fix it all the time, but everyone that has come over to my house left with it fixed.
The injection pump controller has an arm the goes to the injection pump, that also has to be connected, I have seen a couple engines that the arm fell off the injection pump.
SmokeyAz

Post by SmokeyAz »

Is there a way for me to drain the old diesel out of the tank?
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

SmokeyAz wrote:Is there a way for me to drain the old diesel out of the tank?

The tank has a drain plug.
White smoke is caused by a few things, unburnt fuel, water getting into the pistons(blown headgasket), low compression, I over heated an engine one night, it smoked real bad after that, I think it needs rebuilt now, you should check your valve lash also.
SmokeyAz

Post by SmokeyAz »

I'm going to start with draining the fuel, its got to bad after sitting in there for 5+ years.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

SmokeyAz wrote:I'm going to start with draining the fuel, its got to bad after sitting in there for 5+ years.
Check the valve lash also, if they are to tight it will blow white smoke from where you are to next week, people will honk at you like you didn't notice or something, it happened to me, I just wanted to get it home before taking the chance that it would not re-start after shutting it down.
I have some 2 year old fuel in my truck that I just got running again, it seems to run fine on that, but it's not 5 year old fuel.