D21-SD25 Fuel consumption test!

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Highway Man

D21-SD25 Fuel consumption test!

Post by Highway Man »

So, After all my Blood sweat and Tears and, some Three Hundred dollars for bits and pieces, My Paddock Ute is finally ready to step out and take a bow, and show Her paces in a Fuel Consumption test, So I charted Her course on our highways and byways, fueled her and set off with the new Sun on my right shoulder and headed North to :
"Midland Junction" 70Klm from Home start point., with Workers traveling with me all the way, Traffic lights and all!

Then to
"Bindoon boys Town Orphanage," 240 klm from Perth, through Rural area, with flat roads and high long hills as well, passing Lanes in abundance for all "D21's- SD25"

Starting Time was 0900hrs, then reverse the hills and come home, and arrival at Target, then Home for my Supper at 1930hrs,

Now I know I have stuffed up the figures, so I will give you Guru's the gross figures and you can count your fingers and toes for me!

I traveled from Home to Bindoon and back Home for, "454 Klm", and burnt 50.38Litres, in my trusty Chariot, over all types of terain, Throughout the Eight Hours, for the overall cost of $54.00 including two "Meat Pies" for my Lunch in Bindoon!

In my Cystal Ball that should show, "9" Litres for 100 Klms!
Oil Pressure was 43 PSI all day from start to cup of tea at Home
Water Gauge showed a pleasant 160 degrees at the same time, other then two hills that drew her to 180 degrees, so, I am a very happy little "Bildge Rat"
This was done in a very silent mode as well, In that I have had the displeasure of some Petrol Engines that sound louder then this Diesel, with the radio on and me singing my Solo's all the way!

I believe my next and last project, will be buying and fitting a New Radiator from "Evilbay" although this just completed trip certainly would not leave you believing this is a fault, but Appearance certainly does!

I believe the Lady {D21}, showed a 100% return for my patience and faith in buying Her for my use!
Best regards,

Highway man! P.S.
I have now earn't a whisky or two, or three! good night all!:popcorn1:
waynosworld

Re: D21-SD25 Fuel consumption test!

Post by waynosworld »

You should be able to do better than that on the hiway, you got 25.6 miles to the gallon.
I guess it would depend on how fast you were going, were you going 112km/h or more?

Highway Man wrote:So, After all my Blood sweat and Tears and, some Three Hundred dollars for bits and pieces, My Paddock Ute is finally ready to step out and take a bow, and show Her paces in a Fuel Consumption test, So I charted Her course on our highways and byways, fueled her and set off with the new Sun on my right shoulder and headed North to :
"Midland Junction" 70Klm from Home start point., with Workers traveling with me all the way, Traffic lights and all!

Then to
"Bindoon boys Town Orphanage," 240 klm from Perth, through Rural area, with flat roads and high long hills as well, passing Lanes in abundance for all "D21's- SD25"

Starting Time was 0900hrs, then reverse the hills and come home, and arrival at Target, then Home for my Supper at 1930hrs,

Now I know I have stuffed up the figures, so I will give you Guru's the gross figures and you can count your fingers and toes for me!

I traveled from Home to Bindoon and back Home for, "454 Klm", and burnt 50.38Litres, in my trusty Chariot, over all types of terain, Throughout the Eight Hours, for the overall cost of $54.00 including two "Meat Pies" for my Lunch in Bindoon!

In my Cystal Ball that should show, "9" Litres for 100 Klms!
Oil Pressure was 43 PSI all day from start to cup of tea at Home
Water Gauge showed a pleasant 160 degrees at the same time, other then two hills that drew her to 180 degrees, so, I am a very happy little "Bildge Rat"
This was done in a very silent mode as well, In that I have had the displeasure of some Petrol Engines that sound louder then this Diesel, with the radio on and me singing my Solo's all the way!

I believe my next and last project, will be buying and fitting a New Radiator from "Evilbay" although this just completed trip certainly would not leave you believing this is a fault, but Appearance certainly does!

I believe the Lady {D21}, showed a 100% return for my patience and faith in buying Her for my use!
Best regards,

Highway man! P.S.
I have now earn't a whisky or two, or three! good night all!:popcorn1:
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Actually that is just about spot on for what mind does.
Sounds like he did a combination of rural and some stop and go as well.
Between 90 and 100 kph seems to be the best speed for mine.
Any faster seems like I'm beating it up, plus, the pedal is near on the floor to keep going that fast.
( I'm at 1200M here too ).
I get a bit better than that on a straight highway cruise in the summer going from home to the coast ( YVR ) and usually average out around 7.5 - 8L/100 km. ( although one trip i seemed to do a bit better but took an alternate route and kept it around 85 - 90 Kph )
The 720's seemed to do a bit better for some reason. Taller gears and lighter I think.
I also think that the inline fuel pump offers better MPG than the VE style.
IMO that is.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

At 80mph(128kph) I get about 28mpg(10.1 liters 100 KMS) on the hiway, at 55pmh(88.5) I get about 35mpg(8.1 liters 100 KMS) on the hiway with my Datsun 521 with an SD25. in the city I get 25mpg(11.3 liters KMS).
The best I ever got was 36mpg, and the worst I ever got was 21mpg towing another Datsun 720 behind my Datsun 720.
The other day I filled the 720 turbodiesel up for the first time, this truck has been sitting in my driveway running a lot, taken on a lot of short test drives trying to figure out if something works or not, getting floored to see what would happen with the EGTs, all the things one would do to get something on the road after a major modification and testing it, I got 19mpg(14.9 liters 100 KMS), that is about the worst I have ever seen, I filled it up a few days ago, I am hoping to see a lot better.
My Datsun 720 turbodiesel is a dually with 330 gears in the rear, my 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab diesel has a LSD with 350 gears in the rear.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.