SD25 Starting problems

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

richarddgr

Re: SD25 Starting problems

Post by richarddgr »

Thanks. I will look for that timing mark. When I put the pump back on I got the crank shaft pully timing marks lined up, the pump gear timing mark lined up with the timing gear marks. is there a way all the marks can line up but be 180 off?

Thanks
Dick Edgar
Dick Edgar
DnJ Creations "in metal"
Cheyenne Wyo
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

No there isn't.
Although the mark on the lower pulley will line up every 360 the gear inside that the pump aligns with will only come around once.
The lower crank gear is 1/2 the size of the upper one.

Also, as NR states, make sure you have enough fuel supply at the pump.

Keep us posted.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
richarddgr

Post by richarddgr »

I finally got back to work on the forklift. replaced all the glow plugs, double checked the timing, put a lift pump on. it starts a little better but not much. When I break open the individual injectors it seems the cylinder closest to the radiator doesn't change the RPM. The injectors are all a year old. I have a clear line from the fuel overflow off the injectors to the top of the fuel pump, I still get ocassional air bubbles going through it.
Dick Edgar
DnJ Creations "in metal"
Cheyenne Wyo
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Have you checked the valve lash settings. If you can get it to run long enough to get hot, or reasonably warm at least, the clearance needs to be .014 in. If the valves are too tight the engine can be hard to start. As for no change in engine rpm by releasing #1 cyl and if the valves are adjusted correctly then maybe a compression check is in order.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
richarddgr

Post by richarddgr »

Thanks I'll look into that.
Dick Edgar
DnJ Creations "in metal"
Cheyenne Wyo
Highway Man

Post by Highway Man »

Hello Plenzen,
I have just completed reading your Story of 2006 about the Preheating of your SD25, with the Hot Air Guns Etc', As we here in Western Australia are now
suffering with some Zero degree nights Celcius that is, and my SD25 is giving forth those same complaints you spoke of with others in need of your advice,
as I am now!

My past diesels were somewhat larger, "Ships Main Engines" and the Preheating system was a little diferent so therein lies my question to you, Could you please name or suggest a "Hot Air Gun" I could buy to help coax my Beastie into a solid days work, as I am in retirement working throughout our Rural
Areas buying Scrap Metal to sell in the City, and our Rural nights are to say the least, "bloody cold", I carry a "Portable Yanmah Genset" with me on the tray
so I suppose a 240-Volt Heater probably will be ok, I am asking your advice as to the size I should buy as I felt my Wifes Hair dryer might be a little small in output to do the job, so I guess what I am dithering about is, should I buy a Domestic Heater or a Commercial model instead, thanks for your patience and
your advice you have delt out to so many of us!

A grateful Fan of yours and the SD25's,
higway Man, Alias John Richards!
Western Australia.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I originally used just a hair dryer but it took too long. I then used a heat gun used for stripping paint etc. It gets friggen H O T ! quickly. There are 2 settings and the low setting is fine. You can stuff it into the end of the air cleaner snorkel but be careful you don't set fire to your air cleaner. You can just lay it in there for a minute or so and then cycle your plugs once or twice and crank away. Another way would be to just take the air cleaner lid off and blast some hot air down there for a few minutes and it will go. You can get the same air heater I got from your local Yanmar dealer I'm sure. I can get you the part number if you like.
The above being said, 0 C ain't really all that cold. What's the compression like ?
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Highway Man

Post by Highway Man »

Good Morning Plenzen,
The compression is very good, and uses no oil at all, no to sure about the Warmers though, I will check them if the "Heatgun" dose not work satisfactorily
in my case, I will pick one of these up this Morning from "Autocheap" and try it out, again thanks for being there for us "Dudes"
best regards,
highway man!
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

My SD22 will start readily to about -10 Celcius. I do run synthetic 10W30 and this makes it easy to roll over at low temperature. I plug in the block heater for about 30 minutes if it's under -10 C.

On edit: I forgot to mention that a cetane boost additive can help quite a bit too...

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
Highway Man

Post by Highway Man »

Thanks Lone Ranger, I will keep that in mind, and I forgot to ask, will the 240 volt "Heat gun run on a Gen set", as I know my Grinder will if needs be,

highway man
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

The generator will operate the heat gun IF the genset output is 220V AND the capacity of the genset (KVA rating) is sufficient to run the heat gun.
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
Highway Man

Post by Highway Man »

Good Morning Plenzen and the Lone Ranger,
Well, A phone call to Number Seven Son "Blue" and he returned my still existing 240 volt Paint Burner, then stayed with his Wife "Catherine" for Dinner and
ate us out of house and Home and I told him about my reasons for him returning my Burner so promptly, and we enjoyed their company until our "Fridge" was emptied for us!

Come this Morning I walked outside and felt my "Brass Monkeys" rattling in the Morning chill of "1 degree" and hooked up the Burner and left it poked into the Inlet Throat, while our cat and I discussed your collective wisdom, along with my Wifes Critisim on this silly subject of yours, and when the "Cat" left he also was chuckling as well as "Purring" in humour at me!

I turned off the offending Burner after three Minutes, and my pour offended Diesel turned over twice and spoke to me, and I told my Niegbourhood with a
very loud cheer, then went inside and told my Wife who was still in bed claiming to be asleep while ingnoring me and my Diesel Purring away under our Bedroom Window,, I will not write on this Forum Her suggestions for you and the Lone Ranger to partisipate in, and will cut this report short and just say,
"It Worked"

Again thanks to the both of you, and come Summer or spring, I will check my Warmers as soon as I find where they are connected to under my Bonnet!

Yours,

highway man!
Rockingham,
Western Australia.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Glad it worked for you.
If your "monkeys" are rattling at 1c I can only imagine what they would do at -27c.
As NR stated he (and I) have this issue at -10. If all your glow plugs are working you may want to do a compression check on the ol girl. (I'm speaking of the truck by the way ) Could be she's not putting out what she should be (again I speak of the truck)

Good luck for the rest of your "winter"

P
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Highway Man

Post by Highway Man »

Good Morning Plenzen,

Your mention of _27 degrees turned my failing memory back 35 years ago when we were ordered to take a rather Large "Genset" in the direction
of the South Pole, and meet up with I think, "The Southern Aroara" and transfer the "GM Genset" to Her" and she would complete the delivery to the S.P.
Base, as we were only a WW-2 "Frigate" and our Hull was too thin to go any further South, without fear of being torn by ice, my fear that is, and our Navy
must have heard me as well!

We were all loaned Winter Gear of Jackets and gloves, and warned to stay below decks and, not touch any Steel on a Steel Ship, There are times I wonder about Officers Training, anyway, we were all relieved to have a smooth sea all the way to our "ronhdavue" {oops} and watch a Bright Red Ship about our size come over the hills in front of us, and the "Genset transfer" must have set a new record of two hours with all the sounds recorded were really our Teeth chattering back to Adelaide, and we cheered the "Red One" as she turned to head south yet again!

To keep my posting short, "Up yours for -27degrees!, and we seen no Gentlemen in Fur Coats paddleing their Kyacks either before you ask!

Best Regards,

highway man!
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Those "Gentleman" in Kayaks you speak of are at the other end of the ball.

Had you seen them I would suggest that perhaps you sailed a bit too far south and "rounded the corner" so to speak.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN