TD starter on SD

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Knugcab

TD starter on SD

Post by Knugcab »

I broke the starter on my 720 SD25, and found a starter from a D21 TD27 for sale, will it fit?
Nissan_Ranger

Re: TD starter on SD

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

If they look the same, why not try it and see...?
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
Knugcab

Post by Knugcab »

Because it is easier to ask if someone already know the answer instead of going to see an unknown starter. :mrgreen:
However, I found a SD starter in the junkyard so I solved the problem that way.
ehtrain

Post by ehtrain »

The starter is on the opposite side even if did fit the belhousing hole which I believe my td27 has a slightly larger starter. The starter housing is clocked to the other side. So upon install I believe the starter will contact the block if it fits at all. I'll double check as I have all 3 types of starter. Both the sd25 and the td27.
Knugcab

Post by Knugcab »

I replaced the starter with another SD starter, but now I need a flywheel, SD engines are somewhat rare in Sweden nowadays, I found that a junkyard in southern sweden (many miles away) had a 1987 D21 SD25 flywheel for sale, can I use that one on my 1985 720?
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Knugcab wrote:I replaced the starter with another SD starter, but now I need a flywheel, SD engines are somewhat rare in Sweden nowadays, I found that a junkyard in southern sweden (many miles away) had a 1987 D21 SD25 flywheel for sale, can I use that one on my 1985 720?

I believe that all SD25 flywheels are the same and will interchange, the SD22 flywheel will not work, at least the 3 main bearing cranks will not as they have a different bolt pattern, but the ring gear itself on the SD22 flywheel is the same as the SD25 ring gear, as they all use the same starter(SD22/SD25).
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
Knugcab

Post by Knugcab »

Sigh, I didn't get that flywheel....
And SD engines seems to get rare in Sweden.... No luck in finding a new one...
I guess a TD flywheel won't fit? :(
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Knugcab wrote:Sigh, I didn't get that flywheel....
And SD engines seems to get rare in Sweden.... No luck in finding a new one...
I guess a TD flywheel won't fit? :(

So now you need to figure out if the ring gear itself is actually loose on the flywheel, if it is I would first see if it has a crack somewhere, if not I would tack weld it in position in at least 4 different places, but that is me.
I have never heard of one slipping before, may I suggest marking the ring gear/flywheel and try the starter again and check to see if the ring gear is actually moving on the flywheel.
Is the starter just spinning freely without engaging the flywheel/ring gear, or can you hear it actually grinding?
Knugcab

Post by Knugcab »

Well, there is more problems than the starter gear, a slipping clutch have lead to the surface being polished smooth, and it has blue spots and cracks from the heat, so it doesn't feel safe to use... :?
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Knugcab wrote:Well, there is more problems than the starter gear, a slipping clutch have lead to the surface being polished smooth, and it has blue spots and cracks from the heat, so it doesn't feel safe to use... :?
The SD25 engines are kinda rare here also, I had to have one made from a napZ engine, and I had a SD22 ring gear put on that flywheel, it's all I could do.
I would have your flywheel resurfaced/turned, and have the ring gear checked, you are likely going to have to work with what you have.
Knugcab

Post by Knugcab »

I might have sourced a flywheel in Finland from a 1987 Urvan with SD23....I guess that will probably work. Waiting to get mail back from that junkyard....