Warmers and Buttons for Manual control of Warmers

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Highway Man

Warmers and Buttons for Manual control of Warmers

Post by Highway Man »

Good Evening Plenzen,

While i am still reading your Archives, I found a 2010 Thread of yours that could be the answer to my "foggy Brain", You spoke of fitting a Button on the dash
with a "thingame" {sorry lost the name of it,{three strokes lately}, to work the chaps Warmers Manualy, rather then rewire everything else to get results,
as my dash caught fire just after I bought the "Tug D21" with her SD-25, and I have rewiered everything I need bar these Warmers, or should I just stick to the Paint removal Heatgun instead!
regards,
highway man
plenzen

Re: Warmers and Buttons for Manual control of Warmers

Post by plenzen »

Having the glow plugs working is essential in starting these little guys. The button I hooked up was to separately run my air heater I installed under the throttle body. The actual glow plugs for the engine are still operated by the timer. I tried bypassing that timer when in first got the truck and found that by manually operating them I was burning them out. They are pretty fragile.
That being said, there are some more robust types available and they were used on the industrial/marine applications on the SD22. Those ones you can run all day long if you like. They do take a bit longer to warm up.
The SD25 in the D21 (in the one shipped to Canada at least ) had a different type of glow system than the previous 720 SD25 model truck. This uses a "quick glow/after glow" procedure apparently similar to what was used on diesel Maxima.
The plugs get red hot in about 2 seconds but only stay on full power for about 15 (depending on coolant temp) and then change to reduced voltage to aid in engine idle after starting.
This is all controlled by a small, and VERY RARE, timer located under the drivers seat (or in your case probably the passenger seat) . You may be able to back probe this at its connection plug to see if you in fact still have power going to it and work it forwards from there to the relays under the hood on the right inner fender.
The above all being said, your Aussie D21/SD25 may be totally different than the one I have.

I recall having conversation with a forum member davehoos who is/was in Karuah NSW. I recall him saying that one he had only had a single battery and no CSD on the fuel pump like mine does as well as a few other differences.

You may want to see if his PM still works and try a message to him.
He is very knowledgeable about these things and from what I gather only has OIL BURNERS for vehicles and has been fixing them since he got off the boat in Port Jackson.

Here's a link to his members page.
Appears he was on here in March of this year so hopefully his email and contact info is still active.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/memberli ... ofile&u=28

Good luck

EDIT

just had a look on a map and you are about as far away from Karuah NSW as you can get.
Looks like a 7hr plane ride so just stopping by for a quick chin wag is kind of out of the question, but still a great resource for all things Aussie.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Nissan_Ranger

Re: Warmers and Buttons for Manual control of Warmers

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

I operate my glowplugs by means of a pushbutton actuating the original power relay feeding the plugs...

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.