replaced starter and alternator

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

byrdlova

replaced starter and alternator

Post by byrdlova »

Replaced starter and alternator and replaced positive battery wire system . Finally found an alternator at the renton pic-pull.It's new w/the pump and the electric hook up fits but now i can't get the starter to turn over. :?: I have tried replacing ignition and tried running wire straight from solenoid to ignition cause that wire i had to jiggle every so often before to get the starter to turn over.That obviously didn't wurk so i hooked original solenoid wire back up. I am a rookie and am tryin to wing it...any recommendations on getting blue pearl started? I tried the screwdriver from post to post on solenoid and that worked before now i get one lil spark then nothing.. can you get the starter going by direct hook up to separate battery?I need to just move outa drive way asap other wise tow to shop :( .Thanks for reeding...cheerz.A.
byrdlova

Re: replaced starter and alternator

Post by byrdlova »

ok, just read dog88's post about alternator.thats the same new alternator i got from renton pic pull.I bet the wires don't match up like my original alternator did. Can anyone tell me where those two original wires should connect to new alternator connector? this is why i have no starter juice!Thx A ps or a tip on how to match up the red,blue , white from new alternator to the original two wires going out which on is small w/blue line other is bigger gauge solid white?Thx a tonz.A.
Attachments
Photo on 7-30-17 at 1.10 PM.jpg
Photo on 7-30-17 at 1.10 PM.jpg (79.29 KiB) Viewed 4429 times
byrdlova

Post by byrdlova »

Two more photos of alternator elect connect that i think is my power to starter problem.
I noticed the red wire from alternator is the od one out .The large white wire goes to white wire from alt and the blue striped one goes to blue wire coming from alt.Any tips?
Attachments
Photo on 7-30-17 at 1.08 PM #4.jpg
Photo on 7-30-17 at 1.08 PM #4.jpg (80.61 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
Photo on 7-30-17 at 1.09 PM.jpg
Photo on 7-30-17 at 1.09 PM.jpg (79.02 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
IDIDetroit

Post by IDIDetroit »

Im not really all that great with electronics myself, but if you can't get the starter to spin with jumping the terminals I think there may be something wrong with the starter. Are you sure that the large positive wire that comes off the battery is hooked to the starter securely and to the battery? Maybe someone else could chime in on how to hook the alternator up but what I would do is trace the wires off of the old alternator to make sure that the wires on the new one go to the same place.
byrdlova

Post by byrdlova »

Oh man! I had replaced all wires on battery and posts and connectors.So I assumed there wasn't corrosion oc brand new cables or post connector.Wrong.The positive clamp at battery was hide in corrosion under the unseen.
now i have a seized rear brake drum ...ughh!