This is The Bomb ... with Turbo!

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

zen

Post by zen »

back again....

hope you are still on mend Philip...

re vac my sd33 pulls up to 10-12 psi of vac on decelleration..(has throttle assembly still)

i sent some pics did you not get them knuklehead???(will send again)

changing ip to turbo one tonight!! will let you know if any improvements..(hoping for lower egt's,less blue smoke on hard down hill engine braking(proberly shot stem seals though..but you never know)

has no real lag atall,so not bothered about improvement there..
turbo it

(sd33t home turbo set up if anyone is interested..)
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

zen wrote: . . . my sd33 pulls up to 10-12 psi of vac on decelleration..
I think not. How 'bout inches water column (in/Hg)?

Image Image
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
zen

Post by zen »

ok then....dont have a proper vac gauge..was going on reading from turbo boost gauge(which is also vac gauge..ie goes from centre zero to 1 bar+ and if i reading it correct 1bar-)..but thinking about it, it proberly isnt...its a smiths thing(tim/smiths)
philip wrote: Zen: I'd like to see your pics BESIDEs the vacuum gauge :wink: like...
zen wrote:zen wrote:
changing ip to turbo one tonight!! will let you know if any improvements..(hoping for lower egt's,less blue smoke on hard down hill engine braking(proberly shot stem seals though..but you never know).
My pics of ip (turbo one) is fitted, but not tested (just finished for the night,its 3am here).
turbo it

zen

Post by zen »

weell i checked it..its marked as i first thought in bar.-1bar-0-+1bar..

so as i said car draws 10psi vac..(according to gauge!! :wink: )

see pic

knuklehead..see post in sd33 for pics of manual showing governor etc..hope they are ok..if not let me know...

also pics of ip being fitted to car (what was left to finish this morning) all done now..going for test drive soon...
turbo it

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

10 PSI = 277". You'll notice in the diagnostic gauge pics I posted that common vacuum gauges indicate to thirty inches. Your gauge is not telling you what you think it is, though I do not know just what it is indicating.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
exsimguy1

Post by exsimguy1 »

Zen is correct.
10 psi = .689Bar=20.36"HG(mercury like most vacuam gauges read)=277" WATER

His gauge reads in +/- 1 BAR.
1987 D21 w/1983 SD25 drivetrain
zen

Post by zen »

anyway..who really cares...it draws alot of vac...

but not anymore..

of interest to Galen..

tested the turbo ip out tonight...timed it up by ear..

differences to old ip are as follows..(only short test..tweeking of pump to be done later..(its dark outside))

vac gone..no more vac on decelleration :D
egt's dropped alot..ie about 100c (prehaps more)for same speed on same hill :D :D
slight surging on part throttle gone :D
more power!! :D :D :D espically above 8-10psi where the vac n/a ip gives up, and turbo ip still fuels...get more boost too..
tickover issue when cold..n/a ip held perfect tickover from cold to hot..turbo ip needs to have hand operated when cold throttle?gains 200rpm once hot..to be investigated.(proberly not till it starts to get cold
:wink: )

overall impressions..wow..big improvement...

also (NOT SURE THOUGH,BUT WILL CHECK) looks like the governers etc can all be unbolted and MAYBE be made to fit n/a ip body....so if this is so then prehaps Galen can acquire nissan /scout sd33 turbo ip and make it(manual govs etc) fit sd22 n/a ip body??? save alot of work if you can??
turbo it

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Hugo at South Western Diesel seems to think the governors can be interchanged, at most changing the rack if the length is different. I have a pump from a forklift which has 2200 rpm flyweights and the smaller ones from the SD22 would have to replace them. I have taken the forklift IP with manual governor completely apart and, not that it's too hard, but I am thinking it may be easier to just modify my pneumatic governor to be manual. Thanks for the pics Zen.
'82 standard cab 3 axle SD22 turbo
'89 int'l 9700 Cummins 444 (855 ci)
'29 HD FD export model
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

exsimguy1 wrote:(mercury like most vacuam gauges read)
Really? I never knew. Thanks, Galen.

I'm always getting in HG and in WC confused.

And, sorry Zen for misleading you.
zen

Post by zen »

not a problem..

galen...yes it proberly is easier to modify n/a ip to manual..BUT without the boost compensator it will smoke rather alot till boost is built up...

me i would try to combine sd33t (ih scout one?) governor with sd22 body..or go rotary ip way..??

but i can tell you after driving mine around now for a day the n/a ip with tb is not the way to go..i was happy with it untill i changed it over..the improvements are massive..espically egt's....

only down side is it needs a cold running(and a/c) idle up solenoid as rpm too low untill warmed up or with a/c on..(n/a ip was wonderful there!)
turbo it

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Thank you Zen. It is encouraging to hear that the improvement is what I expected and it motivates me to get out and make the change.

Idle control - The 720 Nissan pickup has a manual idle control inside the cab for holding higher rpms until it is warmed up, so that much is expected.

My personal feeling regarding an anaeroid is this - I would rather decide what I want the motor to do and control it than have a thingy do it for me. I understand the need to design a product for the general public that won't self destruct if the operator is ignorant, but I'm designing this for me. I want the IP to respond exactly to the instructions my foot gives it. Altitude compensator, anaeroid, dashpot, turning the pump down, none of these things do any magic that can't be better done by my own right foot. I know that I am an anomaly, but what do you expect from a guy who has a motorcycle with exposed pushrods and a grease zirk on the rocker arm! 8)

'29 HD FD export model
zen

Post by zen »

just my luck...its developed an intermittent misfire...(bu****)

started today on return leg of 300mile test drive...but after the heavens opened up and i refueled(i think)..no smoke.just misses and lacks power..leave it a few mins switched off and it clears ...better be air leak/dodgy fuel/water and not an iffy ip!!! wont be happy bunny if its the ip!! :cry:

[later]

all ok today in the dry..cruising at 12psi 70+mph no probs..so misfire is water related!!now what could cause that???? :Confused: :Confused: it has no sparks after all!

info for Galen..mpg has improved too
turbo it

zen

Post by zen »

do you have /can get a spare engine???

if so just turbo it and be done with it..it is real easy(assuming you can weld and are "creative"..you dont have to go galen's route..(kool as it may be!!)..it wont be as good,but it will work..you can get all bits off ebay for not alot..
mod the manifold to fit,and a little exhaust and inlet plumbing..just as easy/hard as fiting an electric (waste of time)blower...

re tuning n/a...it needs more air(just like my sd33 did) it will benifit from a better free flowing exhaust..(once it has more air).(see banks info on diesel tuning)

the ip will compensate for turbo tuning and/or other improvements without touching it...(up to a point.12psi in my case..)

lpg/propane works much better with turbo lumps..do not believe the hype about 80hp increase etc...it works by (basically) making the burn more efficent..so expect no more than about 10% (20% if turbo interccoler +moded ip) increase in power/economy + it adds a wee bit extra with the gas itself burning..(researched this alot..going there myself..was told by UK supplier of kits that it NOT worth doing on n/a..)

go on turbo it!! :wink:

or..put a bigger engine in!!
turbo it

bacho

Post by bacho »

I am ready to try the IP now, need some more power. Where is a good place to get one so I can get rid of the IP.
1992 nissan pathfinder 4x4
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

eBay. Or maybe I'll sell you mine, unless you want the anaeroid.
'29 HD FD export model