83 King Cab 4x4 Diesel Build

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Delos

Re: Phoneinstaller

Post by Delos »

There hasn't been any change to the title or registration, although at some point I may do that, or not. You would be fine to skip all the wiring for the glow plug timer and Injection Pump Controller, and diesel control module. I have a manual push button for the glow plug(with relay) and you can take the IPC linkage off and hook up a wire that goes to the cab to cut the fuel flow. That leaves the temp sender, alternator, and oil pressure wires. I have 235/75/R15's I don't know about the gearing but it is a 6/83 if you want to look that up. I don't have the truck with me ATM.
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Phoneinstaller

Post by asavage »

Delos wrote:. . . you can take the IPC linkage off and hook up a wire that goes to the cab to cut the fuel flow.
It will run and stop that way, but in cold weather it could be hard to start. You can't easily rig a way to put the IP mode lever into the Start position with a cable.

However, many folks seem to get by with the Stop/Start cable setup [shrug]. You don't really even need that: drop the clutch, in 4th gear, foot on brake works just as well. That's the way Peter drove his for about a year.
phoneinstaller

Delos

Post by phoneinstaller »

I like to do thing the right way the first time i do not have time to do it over.
I have to pull the engine and trans so i can paint the engine and the trans i put in to make up the engine mounts does not have any gears in it.
it was a old bad trans that i put the bell houseing on for testing and making up the engine mounts is i will have to get a clutch and a working trans to gethet be for i put the engine for the last time.
I will post more as i get things painted up and ready to put on the road.

the 83 4x4 had 2 gearing on them that is ware i got the 3.90 set up from
81 datsun diesel 2wd K/C
81 datsun diesel 2wd k/c
86.5 hard body 4X4 K/C For sale
85 720 k/c 4X4
I have 2 81 trucks
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

I installed a TD05 14b on my SD22 and I'm still piddling with it for power, they came on turbo Eclipses/Lasers/Talons. At first I thought it was too big as it would only push 5psi maybe 6 if I really let the engine wind high, but after taking off the line going to the IP, its easily building 7-8psi. I know its not the right way to just take of the IP line and I plan to adjust the smokescrew and timing a little to see what happens.
1984 Nissan 720 4x4 gasser converted to SD22 diesel power, now with boost
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS daily driver
1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Turbo for fun -Sold-
Raleigh, NC
Delos

Update

Post by Delos »

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 07">Nissan Diesel</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/servic ... ="/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/servic ... darycolor=" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object>
Delos

Update

Post by Delos »

So it's got a 3" body lift installed now, runs on vegetable oil right out of the dumpster(filtered of course!) and I have recently replaces the old and warn out driveline that goes from the tranny to the transfer case. I have put about 7,000 miles on it since the diesel swap. It still is not turbo, but hoping to change that soon, probably going with the TD05 as suggested by TruckA. I made a video and put it on my myspace, http://www.myspace.com/billiards_junkie It has audio so don't miss out on that! Also check out the rear axle slipping on the block, I fixed that by installing the add a leaf from A/C. The truck is set up with two fuel tanks under the bed; the non galvanized diesel thank on the rt. side and the old galvanized gasoline tank on the left side. Both carry vegetable oil and i have about a 500mile range! I currently have a 5 gallon diesel tank for stopping/starting. Much of the vegetable oil setup was aided by Enviofuel in Corvallis, Oregon. Their website is http://www.enviofuel.com (duh) I used their 85$ valve for the switching of veg to diesel and it works great! I also use two tank mounted strainer filters from them which keep the birds and fries out. (250 and 125 micron). So check out that video, leave me a comment if you wish, and let me know if there are any more questions about the slowmobile.