My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

handcannon

Re: My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab

Post by handcannon »

At this point I will be available Sunday until somewhere around 5 PM. So that means that I will be available to be there at least until sometime around 3 PM. I just need to know when the grounds are open to the public, and approximately when you will arrive so that I can be there to meet you. I am an early riser, so it won't be a problem to be there by at least 9 AM. I can be there earlier if need be.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

So the meet is at the Canby Fairgrounds.

Address: 694 NE 4th Ave, Canby, OR 97013

Gates are open from 4PM-10PM on Friday
Open on Saturday from 8AM-10PM, then on Sunday from 8AM-3PM.

I will likely get there around 9am/10am both Saturday and Sunday, I am not an early riser, Sunday is supposed to be the best day weather wise.
There were already folks there waiting to get in when this photo was taken.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

Thank you for the information. I will try to be there before you. I will be most likely be driving a 2005 maroon Buick Century, maybe a 1998 maroonish/brown Astro van. Both are dirty because of all the tree pollen all over them currently. My cell phone is 541-979-7704.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

handcannon wrote:Thank you for the information. I will try to be there before you. I will be most likely be driving a 2005 maroon Buick Century, maybe a 1998 maroonish/brown Astro van. Both are dirty because of all the tree pollen all over them currently. My cell phone is 541-979-7704.

Don
Park across the street and walk in, it's fairly cheap to walk in, you have to have a Datsun to park inside anyway.
I will be in the corral parking area where all us folks park that are not in the actual show on Sunday.
If you cannot find me my phone number is (360)600-6115 Wayne
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

So I headed to Canby this morning and had to turn around, it started losing power big time, at a few points I was floored and slowing down but I could keep it running and I got home and replaced the main spin on fuel filter, I started it up and it seemed aright so I headed out again, I got around the same distance before having the same issues again so I pulled over and shut it down, this time I replaced the day old pre-filter again with another new one and got it running again and made it to Canby, but it sounds different now, I almost made it home(couple miles) before having major issues again, it sounds funny.
I made the trip to hood river and most the way back before I started having these issues, I am still on the same tank of fuel, as I recall I bought it the same place I always buy my fuel and never had an issue before.
So I am baffled now, new filters and still have a fuel starving issue, I have never seen rust in the fuel filters so I don't believe it is rust plugging up the tank pick up tube, the coolant in my recently flushed system is rust colored again, but I don't believe it is a head gasket issue but it sounds funny.
The banjo fittings on the fuel filter are all just openings for fuel to flow freely except the fuel return banjo fitting with 2 hose connections which has a pin hole in it, I don't actually know how that one works, but can that one go bad and cause the issue I am having?
The engine sounds funny, what do these engines run like when they have bad fuel, do they just die, do they lose power but keep running just very badly?
I don't trust it now, so until I figure this out it will not go on anymore trips.
I am thinking about emptying the fuel tank just to see what the fuel looks like, but I have never done that before so I don't know what it is supposed to look like, it has run so great till this issue appeared, the weird thing is that I can keep it running, it had no power but it kept running, and then after it idled a minute or two I had power again and made it home, it mostly happens when I am on the freeway going above 65mph, but once it starts it sounds funny and I have to limp along for a while.
By the way when I changed the spin on fuel filter it sucked up the fuel from the tank easily when I primed it.
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

So you had problems again, this time on the way home? What things have you changed, or are new, besides the pre-filter? The only thing I can remember you saying you changed is the pre-filter, and yesterday the main filter. Focus on that pre-filter initially. I had problems with the pre-filter in my 83 Chevy pickup. I had no top end speed, it kept getting slower and slower. At that point I wasn't aware that a gasser filter wouldn't work for diesel, so I replaced it with another gasser filter. The problem was gone at that time, but I don't know about long term as it has been parked for the last couple years with a non-working transmission.

I don't know what difference there is between the filter I used, and the cellulose filtration media in the filter you used. But, to possibly cross out that pre-filter you should try the Wix 33972 since it has a different filter media. I don't know why the first filter lasted longer initially, but maybe you got a dirty batch of diesel also. I know that the filter you showed me yesterday was semi-clear, but not clear enough to see what was in there, other than it was darker than what I thought it should be.

Don
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Vent in the fuel filler cap plugged and are you sucking all the air out of the tank ?
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

plenzen wrote:Vent in the fuel filler cap plugged and are you sucking all the air out of the tank ?
I know this is not the case as I have a hole in the filler tube that leaks fuel on the other side of the truck if I fill it too full, you see the step side box has the gas fill hole on one side, and the tank is actually on the other side, so I have a tube that goes all the way across and it makes a "U" turn to enter the tank.

Don, I had these filters on my 1982 Datsun 720 diesel truck, but I don't know the brand, the local auto parts store didn't have the WIX brand 33214, so I ended up with the master parts brand, and I am having issues now with brand new pre-filters that are not dirty and they are not getting sucked flat either.

I was using a really cheap brand of pre-filter before, it usually would last several months, but all of a sudden I have started having issues, now I looked at all the filters that have plugged up/been sucked flat and all the guts were still in the filter as I have heard of people saying that the paper element inside got sucked into the fuel line/fuel pump, so I always look at that when I replace the plugged pre-filters.

I am thinking this is something else, that is why I asked about the one banjo fitting with two hose connections, that banjo fitting/bolt is different than the other two.

If I had got a bad batch of fuel I would have thought it would have caused me issues right away rather than letting me drive over 130 miles, I had no issues driving to Hood River OR, my issues started after I had made it within 10 miles of home coming back, and I only have issues on the hiway/freeway when I am at freeway speeds, but once the issues start I have them everywhere after they start, if I drive slow and get stopped at a lot of lights they go away for the most part.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Have you tried the 33006 as a pre filter.
It's made for a diesel.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

plenzen wrote:Have you tried the 33006 as a pre filter.
It's made for a diesel.
Which one are you talking about in the ebay links below?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Filter-Wix ... gQ&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wix-33006-Fuel- ... 2R&vxp=mtr

I don't believe the pre-filter is the issue, I think it is something else, that banjo fitting or bad fuel would be my guess at the moment, but it drives around fine locally, I just went and bought a couple jackets and picked up a pizza a few miles away from the house and made it home without an issue, it drove great.
The hiway appears to be the issue, steady higher RPMs cause the loss of power, and I am only at around 5psi except when I come to a hill, then it might get up to 8psi.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I use the one in the second ad. (90 degree one) It is for a Mercedes Diesel. Al (I think) mentioned it for use in his diesel merc. or as a viable option. If you application search it on Wix website it shows what it's used in. You mentioned this already I think but somewhere on here the issue of gas filters used with diesel caused some issues for different people. Some had no issues so i dunno.
Interesting that this started with the last tank of fuel. I wonder if there may be enough water or contamination to actually plug you up. One thing is certain is that your lift pump is working well. Being able to collapse one of those plastic filters is pretty impressive.
Changing color of coolant is a bit concerning.
Can you hook a separate fuel source to it and see if it "sounds" like it used to ?
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

plenzen wrote:I use the one in the second ad. (90 degree one) It is for a Mercedes Diesel. Al (I think) mentioned it for use in his diesel merc. or as a viable option. If you application search it on Wix website it shows what it's used in. You mentioned this already I think but somewhere on here the issue of gas filters used with diesel caused some issues for different people. Some had no issues so i dunno.
Interesting that this started with the last tank of fuel. I wonder if there may be enough water or contamination to actually plug you up. One thing is certain is that your lift pump is working well. Being able to collapse one of those plastic filters is pretty impressive.
Changing color of coolant is a bit concerning.
Can you hook a separate fuel source to it and see if it "sounds" like it used to ?

It collapses the paper element inside the plastic filter, it doesn't collapse the plastic part.
I have been using them cheap clear filters in my 720 for years without issues, the only reason I went with the 33214 is because I have seen them on lots of diesel trucks.
I talked to my friend today and asked him about the time he lost power on the hiway/freeway, he said it was because of that banjo fitting that the return line goes to that has two fittings, I have an extra one on that fuel filter assembly I posted a photo of earlier in this thread.
I am also getting down to less than half a tank of fuel now, I have pretty well scrapped the fuel mileage on this tank now but I will check it anyway, but I am thinking about running it down to almost empty before I fill it up just in case it is a fuel issue.
I am now also considering buying a fuel pre-filter like I have on the 720 that separates the water from the fuel also, I just have no idea where I would put it as there is no room on that side of the engine in the engine compartment.
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

You sure have had more than your share of fuel problems lately. I'm at a loss as to what is causing the problem. Like plenzen I am wondering if you somehow got a batch of fuel with water or dirt in it. If you did that could explain why the filters have been plugging up so quickly.

As for the banjo fitting, are you talking about the one in the return line that has some kind of regulating valve for the return fuel? I definitely don't know anything about that banjo, but am willing to learn about them. I hate to see someone else have these kind of problems, but do keep us informed about how things go, and what you find out, as I want to learn.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

handcannon wrote:You sure have had more than your share of fuel problems lately. I'm at a loss as to what is causing the problem. Like plenzen I am wondering if you somehow got a batch of fuel with water or dirt in it. If you did that could explain why the filters have been plugging up so quickly.

As for the banjo fitting, are you talking about the one in the return line that has some kind of regulating valve for the return fuel? I definitely don't know anything about that banjo, but am willing to learn about them. I hate to see someone else have these kind of problems, but do keep us informed about how things go, and what you find out, as I want to learn.

Don
That is the banjo fitting I am talking about, my friend had an issue 5/6 years ago with loss of power on the hiway, it turned out to be that banjo fitting, I have a new one, just have not done anything about it yet as it drives just fine when not on the freeway, this makes me think it is not a bad fuel issue.
This is actually the first time I have ever had an issue like this in the last 8/9 years I have been driving these little diesels.
I did overheat one my SD25 engines that was in the 720 dually diesel, my dash lights decided to quit working when a hose sprung a leak, didn't know there was an issue till it was too late.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Did you cut open your old main filter ?
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN