FS on Seattle Craigslist--1981 720 KC pickup w/SD22 for $100

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

moose60

Post by moose60 »

Thanks Al
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Parting the "Bellingham Truck" (not the "Vashon Truck" yet). Most parts free.

I'd really like to find a home for this bench seat:
Image Image Image Image

It is probably not for a KC, though it bolted in fine. I don't think it would be economical to try to ship it. I hate to throw it out, but I can't use it and don't think I can store it.

I have "near perfect" blue two-tone door panels too. And a blue steering wheel and horn pad in great shape.

Blue seat belts and retractors.

Decent condition late tailgate (obviously bad paint, but pretty straight and no rust):
I'd like a few bucks for that one. Left taillight is decent, right has a deep scratch.

A/C compressor + bracket + idler bracket + any hoses you want, condensor, evap. This truck is going away Sunday, and I'm not pulling the condensor or evap or hoses unless someone wants them.

Hood: does anyone want it? Some light rust but the rattle can job would polish off.

Free blue doors, minor dent on driver's; door ding only on pass, rust-free, good glass and latches, bad hinges. I'll take them off if someone wants them.

Keeping the grille.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
moose60

Post by moose60 »

Al,
Does the bench seat smell? I see some tears etc., but is the original shape still ok? My current seats are unevenly worn, so I tilt a little to the right all the time. That tilt along with the backs being lumpy is no good for my back on longer drives.
If this bench is in good condition, I may drive out there to get it and the throttle lock.

If the other truck has decent buckets I would be more interested in those.

How are the tires? Weather checked?

If I came out, I might also be interested in the front bumper from the truck with the white hood.
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

moose60 wrote:Does the bench seat smell?
No. Although there was a major rodent nest on top of the evap housing (that stunk really badly when I was removing the wiring harness!), the seat has no smell.
I see some tears etc., but is the original shape still ok?
While the camera's flash always seems to make seat I take pictures of look dirty, this seat really is a bit dirty, but the ONLY tear is that vertical seam shown. There is some light mold on the smooth vinyl on the side that will wipe right off. The shape is OK. I weigh about 260 and the springs seem fairly weak on the left side of the driver's seating position.
If the other truck has decent buckets I would be more interested in those.
While I don't seem to have any pics of the "Vashon Truck's" seats, I don't think they're any good, though I really can't recall. If I head home tonight before dark, I'll see if I can swing by there and take a look again. I haven't looked inside the cab of it for a loooong time.
How are the tires? Weather checked?
Fronts are Michelin X 195s, evenly worn but don't have a lot of tread left. I, personally, would get another year out of them. I considered keeping them but the '86 has aftermarket rims so I doubt Peter will ever use these stockers. Getting them will involve some negotiating with the hauler by me, as he's going to flat tow it and will want it as a roller, but I can go to where he hauls it and pull them off.

The LF is "Euro-Tech Metric", 50% tread (I think I gave Peter this tire a year ago, off one of my Maximas); the RR is generic snow tire with heavy checking that I wouldn't run, it's too bad.

How 'bout some doors? Or even just the door panels, which are very good and kind of match the seat?
If I came out, I might also be interested in the front bumper from the truck with the white hood.
That's the "Bellingham Truck", the one I'm parting today. You do not want this bumper, it is not nearly as good as that picture makes it look. You can make out where someone chained to the top of it and bent it out, but you can't see the rust on the bottom, and the end caps I threw in the dumpster yesterday, they were not really even on there.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
moose60

Post by moose60 »

Al,

Thanks for the offer of doors and/or door panels, but I think than mine are in fine shape. If anything I need new hinges, but it sounds like the ones you have are shot. Sounds like the tires, bumper and seat are probably a no-go. My back is getting picky about seats. I will probably have to find some later model buckets and bolt 'em in. Head rests are nice also, in case you get rear-ended.

I just re-read the post in which you said that there were no good bumpers.
The front and rear bumpers on the Vashon truck (I think it's the Vashon, blue, rusty and factory sunroof) look OK to me. Is there rust etc. that I can't see, or are you not willing to part with em?

Thanks Al
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I am parting out and scrapping this "Vashon Truck" 1981 720 this weekend. Let me know what you need, but before you go asking, please read this thread from the beginning and make certain you are not looking for something this truck does not have!

We've stored it for 1.5 yrs and it's time for it to leave now.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

09/82 build date.

Bad biodiesel in this thing. I pumped out about six gallons. Smells OK but not as clear as I'd like. Not WVO, but there is a 5 gal carboy in the back of the truck, not a good sign.

These items I'll be putting in storage, to use or sell:
============================================
Injectors and return line all look pretty good (not pulled yet though). $40 for all four + return line if you want it.

IP pulled, though a bit dirty is complete with timer assy. $50 with injector lines.

Who knows if the GPC works. May have had water in it -- leaky windscreen syndrome. Offers.

DPC disconnected, bowden cable to IP to control it, link from IPC to IP missing. Offers on DPC & IPC. Untested, of course.

Head has no paint, has been off. I'll have to see what it looks like when I pull it tomorrow.

Alternator grimy/oily -- needs to go back to the car wash for another cleaning of the backside.

Intake & Exhaust manifolds, no broken studs so far.

Starter is DD. "Looks" good, don't have it pulled so can't test yet. Make offer.

Oil pan with hole in it (see pic upthread). Free for shipping.

SD radiator, original but has had upper tank straps resoldered, now are loose again. I think that it holds water, but it is untested. $10 and take your chances. Unfortunately worth more than that for the copper value :(

"Big ears" door-mounted side mirrors, SS and in decent though weathered shape, $20 for the pair (just covers my labor to cut off all eight 1/4-20 bolts that are much too rusted to even attempt to unscrew).

Complete OEM jack setup -- first one I've seen in a long time: rod, handle, cast-iron screw jack. Rusty, not show condition, but appears functional. I've only seen the scissors jack before (and that's what my Maximas have). The 720 Owners Manual shows a screw jack though, and this one looks like it.

Dash cracked but GB door OK, a few scratches but hinge OK. Free for shipping only.

One really good seatback for KC (extra mechanism that slides seat forward when you flip seatback forward to access the rear) -- blue, no rips or tears, some age discoloration. It appears to fit the passsenger side (and the seats appear to have been reversed). Free for shipping cost only. Seat bottoms are shot, forget it.

KC fuel tank for diesel. Offers.

Early MF (lights, turn sig) switch. Offers.

Grille: free for shipping.

Corner lamps and front turn sigs NFG.

Items below are going to be scrapped with the truck Monday.
===========================================

Tailgate is straight though a bit rusty.

Much of the idle prop cable is missing. Cable itself is there, no knob or bracket though.

Glass in sunroof good -- free for shipping. Also have the restraining straps/hooks for securing it behind the seats for when you take it out completely. No bag for it, though.

Ditto on door glass, KC side glass.

Really solid, though rusty, rear bumper.

Blue two-tone door panels are rip and stain-free, but are coming unglued at spots. I'm not going to keep them, but someone might use them. Perfect (aged) armrests both sides. Window crank handles (with black plastic insets).

Windshield is NFG. Rear window is solid though.

This truck is going to be hauled off Monday AM, so if you're interested in any of that you need to reach me before then!
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I'd like to find a home for this block. No. 2 rod broke at the wrist pin, lower edge of liner & block are damaged but the damage appears minor. For someone who is contemplating an SD22 rebuild, this might make a good "head start" block. Though it has some minor scrap value, I will give it away to anyone who is willing to not scrap it. If you're going to put new liners in anyway, you can do most of the rebuild work on this block, instead of your daily driver or whatever.

The damaged area looks a different size in some of the pics, but is about 7/16" tall x 5/8" wide, which doesn't seem enough to worry about to me.

I hate to scrap this if someone can use it. I can furnish it with flywheel, crank (regrindable, possibly reusable as-is), front cover and non-A/C sheave, just as pictured. Head available for modest fee (certainly has a bent valve, one rocker broke). Pan has a minor hole in it and is certainly brazeable.

Lots of pics below, many duplicates, quality varies, click on one you like.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

I was contemplating just leaving out the piston and running this as a three or two cylinder genset engine, but sadly I can't get current projects finished fast enough to take on this one.