Databases rebuild complete

News & discussion about the forum's server, hardware, software, upgrades, features, etc.

Moderator: Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Databases rebuild complete

Post by asavage »

I couldn't perform a Search this morning, the Search Terms database had somehow gotten out-of-sync. The rebuild process took about 50 minutes, as the server is pretty old by today's stds (1Ghz Athlon, 1GiB RAM) and the number of posts to search is now over 15k posts.

Search seems to work OK again.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

We seem to have some kind of file locking screwup. You can't search right now. New posts do post, but give an error msg after posting, and don't show as "new" on the main page. I'll try to fix it late tonight.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

A power outage, and un-graceful shutdown (I need new UPS batteries, but the budget isn't there for them), and a minor database corruption. Two hours of rebuild (all automated) and we're back in business. Sorry folks, that's Show Business.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I used to have a ups that I utilized a spare car battery to run, they also make great maintainence chargers
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The server's UPS has two Group 27 auto batteries, but the charge rate/voltage of the UPS tends to cook car batteries. They work fine but I have to stay on top of watering them. The bank is shot now.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Oh, wow you must have beastly backup units. I ran mine on a little 40 buck toy I got about a decade ago, when I thought itd be neat to have a little reserve power in case of a service outage. Yeah, I know where you are coming from with the bank is shot kind of thing, last thing one would consider is to repair a luxury, and those group 27's never run cheap.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012