OEM Radio

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

OEM Radio

Post by asavage »

Spending some time today to put a third radio in the '82 Wagon. If I'm going to drive this thing, I want NPR -- one hour a day commute time.

The orig. radio lost the driver for the display segments. I could fix it, but it would take time. I got a JY radio a couple of years ago, and it only works intermittantly -- loose connection inside it.

Just put a third radio head in, it seems OK.

Have a fourth one in storage -- and the working one in the '83 Wagon of course.

=================================

Third radio works OK. The pots are a bit crackly but work OK.

Found the fourth radio in storage, I've never plugged it in.

Then, cleaning out the back of the '82 Wagon, to vacuum up the little mouse turds, I found this:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Yup, it's a genuine reman Maxima radio. I'd forgotten I'd bought this thing.

In other radio news, two of my five radios have broken tuning "Up | Down" knobs. I looked hard at fixing the one I installed today.

The "arms" of the knob that are supposed to snap/engage into the radio's face are warped inward and will not snap into place. No "before" pic, but I cut a piece of .050" wire and carefully put it where it would do the most good, making the arms parallel again (click on any image for larger):
Image Image Image

Then I coated the wire with RTV, in case it dropped out and into the radio: insulation:
Image Image

Although I got the length of the wire correct to make the arms parallel, there isn't enough spring in the radio's face, and when I went to install it, I used too much force and one of those arms broke off. So, no fix. It's a cosmetic blemish though, because the Seek & Scan buttons work OK, and I use the presets anyway.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Carimbo

DX/LOC Switch Function?

Post by Carimbo »

Hi,

The DX/LOC switch appears to have no effect on my radio. Presuming this is supposed to be some sort of a filter for FM static. Does anybody have one that produces some effect?
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The purpose of the Distant/Local switch on this radio is to alter the sensitivity of the Seek/Scan function. The Owners Manual suggests leaving the switch in Local mode, unless you want Scan/Seek to be able to stop at weaker FM stations.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
odie

Post by odie »

the display in mine is intermitent too. But works fine for talk radio. The scanner/seeker is a bit weak. It has a hard time finding stations unless I manually tune to a known station.

I will probably be pulling it for a CD player if I can find a mounting kit or maybe make one. Hopefully the cruise control switch can be seperated from the tape deck part and I can install a small storage pocket of make a blank face to moutn the switch to.
1996 VW Passat B4V TDI diesel...main ride
1983 Maxima LD28..sold
1984 Isuzu P'up diesel 4x4..sold
1981 Rabbit diesel - sold
1984 MB 190 diesel - for sale...sold
1987 MB 300TDT diesel...sold
1983 Holiday Rambler 6.2 diesel Banks turbo...sold
1983 Dodge Ram D50 2.3 TD diesel for sale
gas stuff-Jeep, Lebaron, Porsche, Harley