1987 Nissan D21 SD25

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

plenzen

1987 Nissan D21 SD25

Post by plenzen »

I have just joined this forum and have been reading some of the discussions. I noted yours and the elusive 1987 D21 SD25. I in fact do have one of these very vehicles and so far it runs pretty well. I got it from my dad who is now 84 and he bought it brand new in 87 in Vancouver Canada. He is still an active diesel mechanic and has been all his life. This vehicel presently has a little over 200,000 kms on it which is roughly 120,000 miles. There is no body rust on the cab but the box is starting to rust on the floor. He had a piece of plywood in it from the start and never removed it, other wise it would be rust free! He had it undercoated and rust-proofed when he bought it. Just to let you know that the 87 does exist and once I learn more about this site I will even post a photo of it.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
philip
Deceased

Re: 1987 Nissan D21 SD25

Post by philip »

plenzen wrote:I have just joined this forum and have been reading some of the discussions. I noted yours and the elusive 1987 D21 SD25. I in fact do have one of these very vehicles and so far it runs pretty well. _SNIP- Just to let you know that the 87 does exist and once I learn more about this site I will even post a photo of it.
Welcome to the forum. :)

Only the few owners are the people who believe D21 with SD25 exists. The elusive problem is when these few owners try to get parts from dealerships or auto marts. For another example, nobody here has found a copy of the Nissan Manual for the D21 / SD25 vehicle. :shock: Are you the first? :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

english language non north america workshop manual for D21 /SD25 D21 sup II
part number SM7E-D21SG1

manual concerned with up dates to models-
sd25 2wd and z24 KC-DC for mideast.
Z24 aust removal of egr/eai on 4X4 and removal of egr/eai on 2wd except KC for NSW/VIC.[unleaded petrol introduction 1986-88 comercial vehicles in other states not aplicable due to lack of fuel,today they use avgas and opal due to petrol sniffing]
COLAPSEABLE STEERING added for europe.
dim/dip lights added for england.
asbestos warning for all based an UK regulation.

electrical EL 36 pages
including auto lights etc.engine controls.
body BF8 pages
and about 10 pages of odds

SD25 left drive MODEL TYPES some countries have vin numbers.
JLGD21SF UJLG21SF JLGD21HSF JLGD21KR
4X4
JLMD21SF UJMD21SF KJLMD21SFR

i have another someplace that covers D21 with no heater/fan etc.
very basic.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

davehoos wrote:english language non north america workshop manual for D21 /SD25 D21 sup II
part number SM7E-D21SG1
Well ... I reviewed at http://www.bevenyoung.com.au/bookworks.pdf

It take about a minute to download a big PDF.

Then ... scroll down to about page 47.

Navara D21 1987
General Repair Supplement 2
SM7ED21SG1 ............................. $35.00

Navara D21 1987
General Repair Supplement 3
2WD:SD25 changed to TD25
4WD: SD25 changed to TD27
covers changes to 2wd & 4wd models -
emissions, electric controls, wiring -
does not include engines
SM8ED21SG1 ............................. $45.00

Now ... the earlier SD25 found in 720's and in the 1987 D21 in Canada is NOT the TD25. More confusion for the 1987 model.
Last edited by philip 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

plenzen

Transmission Surprise

Post by plenzen »

The Nissan Manual that I have is year specific. "1987 Nissan Truck / Pathfinder Service Manual" Printed 1986 Nissan Motor Company Japan. The book is about 2 inches thick and inside the first page it says. " FORWARD : This manual contains maintainance and repair procedures for the 1987 Nissan TRUCK and PATHFINDER. Where specific detail for the SD25 are required there is a seperate sections for that. Fuels system is an exampe, as well as engine removal and overhaul balh blah blah. The transmission section is broken down to different models of transmissions and shows each one for "Major Overhaul", "Dissasembly", "Inspection", and "Assembly". There is also a section in there with the different specialized "Nissan" tools and the part #'s of these tools as well as the specs on them ( ID's , OD's, Lengths in MM's and Inches). It's pretty indepth. For example there are 15 specialized tools lisated for overhaul of the FS5W71C Transmission and 17 specialized tool for the FS5R30A transmission.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If you have a 1987 Factory Service Manual that covers both the D21 and the SD25, you have the holy grail!
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
plenzen

Manual

Post by plenzen »

Guess I hit the jack pot! My father ordered it the same time he got the truck in 87 right from Nissan in Vancouver B.C
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:If you have a 1987 Factory Service Manual that covers both the D21 and the SD25, you have the holy grail!
Paul's actual Nissan Manual publication number is ...

SM7E-0D21U0 dated July 1986 (1987 model)

Show's the SD25 engine general maintenance, glow plug particulars, Bosch VE and Inline injections, and transmission bell house for left side starter mount.
Last edited by philip 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

plenzen

Nissan Manual

Post by plenzen »

Is this a common manual then?
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
philip
Deceased

Re: Nissan Manual

Post by philip »

plenzen wrote:Is this a common manual then?
That manual IS common ... in all other 1987 respect. I'll give you a dollar more than Al will. LOL :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Does this mean that ANY (1986-1/2 MY change) 1987 D21 FSM will cover the SD25?

I don't think so. If purchased in the US, where the SD option was not offered for the D21, I would bet a US-sourced FSM for the D21 won't have any SD25 info. A small bet, anyway.

I have FSMs and supplements for all years 1980-86, but not '87.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Thanks for the info. And your time.
This manual does however show more than just general engine maintainance. It shows overhaul procedures as well as tolerances, torque specs, trouble shooting tests for different systems for the SD25 etc. I am not that sure of what else would be contained in the 'Rare" or Non-existant manual that you mentioned.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

just get the publication number off the inner cover or back page.

usa models are not covered in australian manual.i have a early front drive maxima manual i purchase in a dealer california,as it was about to be released in australia at the time-didnt happen-i asked about other books and got stuffed around.it apeared to be a low priority.

main manuals here have the engine gearbox etc and a list of manuals to go with it.ie a cedric/300C for australia has the VG30E with no catalist[ADR27C] but also CA20 carby VG30 carby..

the SD23 and LD20T LD28 only covers electrical exhaust etc etc.the engine is not covered for overhaule.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
plenzen

Service Manual

Post by plenzen »

The publication # is as Phillip posted (SM7E-0D21U0) published July 86 and a Printing Date of July 86 (3) which I assume was the third printing for July 86. The manual shows service and adjustments for the Cold Start Device as well as tests and fixes for the fuel heater system and, as mentioned, overhaul and rebuild procedures for the SD25 engine, fuel injector specs, pressures, torques etc etc. I can only assume that it is the same as the 1986 FSM that I assume covers the SD25 systems only this one is for the 1987 model. I can’t see the two model years being all that different. The build plate on the truck shows it was built in August of 1986.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If your FSM covers the CSD, it's referring to the Bosch-style VE injection pump; the US never saw that IP on the SD series (though the LD uses the VE-style IP).

Does your truck have the Inline, or Distributor IP?