720 Fuel tank differences

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

720 Fuel tank differences

Post by asavage »

Some fuel tank differences I've noted across three of the several 720s I've owned. According to Nissan FAST parts application, the tanks available vary as to bed length and cab style (as well as fuel type). As mentioned previously, diesel tanks are not internally galvanized because diesel can etch zinc and zinc plugs filters and possibly other nasty stuff. For that reason, when swapping the SD into a gasser truck, it's a good idea to swap the fuel tank too. Problem is, it appears that there are eleven different part Nos. for the diesel fuel tanks.

The tank from "Lela", 1982 720 KC SD for Mercer Island, my first. I did not think to measure the tank:
Image Image Image

The "Orting Truck's" 1981 720 Std cab = 13-1/4"H x 32-1/2"L x 14W
The "Bellingham Truck's" 1982 Std cab = 12"H x 41-3/4"L x 14"W
Image Image Image Image

Kicking Nissan FAST for a long time got it to spit up this info. This is (I think) all the fuel tank part Nos. for all the diesel-equipped 720s through the end of the 720 run.

(click on image for larger)

Legend of applicable abbreviations:
Reg = Regular Bed Truck
K/CAB = King Cab
HD/LB = Heavy Duty Long Bed
T = General term for Reg & Long
LONG = Long bed truck
HD/T = General term for HD/LB, HD/W and C&C

Simplified table:

If someone volunteers to type that up or OCR it, I'll include the text version here for the Search feature; I'm too tired tonight to transcribe it.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

My '82 SD22 tank seemed to be identical in shape to the '84 4x4 Z24 tank. The only real difference beside the inside lining that I saw was that the drain bolt on the gasoline tank is located towards the rear where the diesel tank drain bolt is located towards the front.

I've posted this picture before, but here it is again for this tank specific thread. The diesel tank is in the front and the gasoline tank is in the rear. The extra piece on the left side of the diesel tank was left installed on the gasoline truck body, so that's why its not shown on the gasoline tank. They interchanged and all bolts lined up with no issues. The only dilemma I ran into was having to weld new nuts onto the diesel tank flange b/c of bolts that broke from being frozen by rust and had to be ground off.

I didn't look for the part numbers and don't have measurements, but can get them if they would be useful.

David
Last edited by TruckA 16 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1984 Nissan 720 4x4 gasser converted to SD22 diesel power, now with boost
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS daily driver
1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Turbo for fun -Sold-
Raleigh, NC
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

TruckA wrote: The only dilemma I ran into was having to weld new nuts onto the diesel tank flange b/c of bolts that broke from being frozen by rust and had to be ground off
On the '81 720 SD tank pic above, two of the mounting bolts were already broken off when I got it. I was able to drill them out without drama, didn't even have to helicoil the flange.

[as opposed to the entire afternoon yesterday, removing two broken lower shock mounting bolts on my '94 Dodge B350 service van. Weldnuts on the lower control arm, broken 5/16" bolts, and what a mess to clean them up. Took me hours]

I would like to know the overall length of your tank. It looks taller than my '82 tank and longer than my '81 tank.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
bacho

Post by bacho »

I do not think the gas tank is galvanized. I ran mine on the stock gas tank and the new owner has been driving the crap out of it without any issues as.

Its an 1985 KC shortbed by the way.
1992 nissan pathfinder 4x4
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I don't know about the lack of issues implying that the fuel tank isn't galvanized.
bacho

Post by bacho »

As I had read, if the tank was galvaized IT WOULD come apart, no doubt about it. With absolutly nothing in the fuel system I think its not an issue. Its only been 8 months I think but I think you would run into something by then right?
1992 nissan pathfinder 4x4
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Makes me wonder about my Maxima that was converted from gas. The previous owner who did the conversion had a complete donor vehicle. He did a nice job with the conversion, but may not have been aware of the fuel tank issue.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

asavage wrote:I would like to know the overall length of your tank. It looks taller than my '82 tank and longer than my '81 tank.
This tank is the gasoline tank from a 1984 Nissan 4x4 standard cab.

I didn't forget about you, measuring the length and width of the flange that runs around the tank, it is 43"x13". The overall height of the tank is 13".

David
1984 Nissan 720 4x4 gasser converted to SD22 diesel power, now with boost
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS daily driver
1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Turbo for fun -Sold-
Raleigh, NC