Removing rust on alloy wheels (steel shavings on alum wheel)

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

kassim503

Removing rust on alloy wheels (steel shavings on alum wheel)

Post by kassim503 »

I had metal shavings on one of my rear wheels, due to me riding the pad down to the rotor. I was planning on replacing the pads and rotors, but not until I return to long island in a 2 weeks. Since my injectors started leaking, my car is sitting outdoors and it rained on the steel shavings. Problem is the steel shavings rusted and I tried to do a quick wipe of the wheel, and none of it seemed to come off. Is there any way to take it off easily, like soap, water, and mabye a nylon brush? I wont be able to get to the car wash until the injectors get here and they are sent to a shop. Preferrably using household things, because id like to save any money leftover for rushing the injectors thru the cleaning process.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

You want to remove iron oxide from aluminum alloy. I don't know how to do that without damaging the underlying aluminum. But I haven't Googled on it yet either ;)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

the good part is that its kidna on the painted part in the middle of the spokes, i think im just gonna try powerwashing it off, and just attack it with a brillo brush. There is alot of brake dust that has been caked onto the insides of the spokes so its kinda hard to go in there good and scratch up the alum. Not like it matters, i cant even see it in most spots. If the wheel will stay like that i guess i have no choice but to not care, cause the wheel is already kinda bent and i guess i can go for a new wheel.

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
TooManyIdeas

Post by TooManyIdeas »

Try Coke, it takes corrosion off battery terminals and rust off bumpers. Couldn't hurt to try.
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Coke = phosphoric acid. I don't know why anyone would want to drink it: it's not food, it's rocket fuel.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Sounds like a plan, ill do it once i take the car to the self wash and try a bunch of conventional methods first. and that is if i can ever get my injectors over here

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:Coke = phosphoric acid. I don't know why anyone would want to drink it: it's not food, it's rocket fuel.
It's the caffeine for people. LOL. For me, some of these drinks like RedBull is good for about 200 miles!
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

ahahaha, I think red bull tastes horrible, but it definitley helps you stay up, yellow jackets and the whole caffiene pill deal is great to stay up, but its definitely a heart attack in a pill. :D

227K SOLD 6/7/2012