Windshield, body fixes - how much trouble

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

rlaggren

Windshield, body fixes - how much trouble

Post by rlaggren »

This 82 wagon looks interesting, but it has a bad windshield and the guy has some front sheet metal (at least) damage. Can't tell about the bumper from the pic, but the hood is definitely bowed up some so I'm wondering what else got crunched to get it like that.

Haven't got a response yet from the seller, just looking for comments on the what-it-takes to fix it. In particular whether the visible damage to the sheet metal looks troublesome. And whether glass is available or has to come from the JY. Seems to me JY glass is pretty hard to get out w/out breaking it.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/car/422823895.html

Thanks

Rufus
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I'm guessing that the Sedan and Wagon windshields are the same. Gen1 Maximas do come through the JYs every once in a while. The rubber gasket around them are harder. I was able to buy a Wagon rear window gasket in 1999 from the dealer, don't know if they are still available.

Bumpers, in good condition, are "impossible" to find. They are rotted after so many years and very difficult to R&R even if you find a good one. If you touch them, they rip, after so many years in the sun.

I have a very good RF fender and near-perfect hood from an '83 Sedan, which the new owner of my old '83 Wagon has first dibs on, but if he doesn't really want them, you are welcome to have them. The fender will not have the hole for the antennae -- Sedans have their antennae in the LR fender instead. They are dark metallic brown.

I will be driving to SoCal Christmas or sooner and hauling stuff anyway -- Dad's generator, for example.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Al,

Thanks for info. If I get a response from seller, I'm inclined to drive up and look at the car - but there's a good chance it may go immediately at that price. This is the 82 wagon you posted on P'P. Sounds like fixing the glass and bumper would be a slow process (lining up the parts).

Rufus
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

asavage wrote:Bumpers, in good condition, are "impossible" to find. They are rotted after so many years and very difficult to R&R even if you find a good one. If you touch them, they rip, after so many years in the sun.
This is TRUE! I recently replaced the front bumper on mine, and wanted to dispose of the old one in my trash barrel. Knew I would have to cut it up to get it to fit in the barrel but didn't have my knife handy. Tried ripping it apart w/ my bare hands-- it worked!
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

they do seem pretty weak, the side mounting of the fascia on my rear bumper rusted off so the bumper had to take on the winds, and just the force of the wind tore my bumper in a small spot. Well, it is 80's plastic, that has been aged for a while, definitely not one of the things that can be "aged to perfection" :)
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

asavage wrote:I have a very good RF fender and near-perfect hood from an '83 Sedan, which the new owner of my old '83 Wagon has first dibs on, but if he doesn't really want them, you are welcome to have them.
It's official tonight: new owner of "Myrna's Wagon" does not want the two butterscotch front seats, the Sedan RF fender or the hood, so they are all up for grabs again. Free to anyone that needs them.

The hood is pretty much "perfect", with correct 1983 hood ornament. The fender has a very slight dimple in the wheel arch. The seats are a tad dusty/dirty but no rips or tears.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Too bad shipping a fender across country might cost more than a maxima parts car :D I could of used it tho, cant win them all
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012