A Good Weekend for the Old Max!

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

83_maxima

A Good Weekend for the Old Max!

Post by 83_maxima »

I was able to make some time for the wagon this weekend and ended up replacing the AEM "gasser" strater with the OEM unit from my parts car. Also got the old alternator out for a rebuild and used the smaller, rebuilt unit out of my parts car for a temporary unit.

I was also able to attack the glow plug system and managed to get the factory system re-instated so bye-bye doorbell button. :D

Just need to find my alternator rebuild parts and remedy the cooling issue (different fan clutch did not help) and do the TB and tensioer and it should be ready for a few thousand more miles! 8)
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

AEM, as in the company that makes intakes for the pocket rockets?
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

kassim503 wrote:AEM, as in the company that makes intakes for the pocket rockets?
No. As in Aftermarket Equipment Manufacturer.

I also got the alternator apart today and the bearings pressed out/off. Everything looked pretty good, but the rectifier is coming apart, so couldn't hurt to rebuild eh?
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

never hurts to rebuild stuff

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I've done it both ways. Just the diodes & brushes & seal; and then the brgs. too. I had a Hitachi Reman alt. die, fairly new brgs but bad diodes so I left the brgs alone (my own car, I can fudge a little; never on a client's car).

Good brgs are not cheap.

What is your source for the diode assy (if I haven't already listed it in the LR160 thread)? IIRC, NAPA sells it but for quite a bit more than the Rexco unit (and the Rexco is now Transpo for that diode). Transpo can be had "anywhere".
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

In your (Al's) LR160 thread, I posted my intentions with the alternator and a (hopefully my) source for the rebuild parts. WAI (WRS) is a alternator/starter rebuild supply company with a dist. center/office here in Denver. I am in the process of finding out if they will sell to me as an individual, or if I must set up a business account first.

In any event, they seem to carry everything we need for the rebulid from the rectifier and the rear seal to the bearings and brushes (mounted or naked).

Was hoping to hear back from a rep today, but no dice. Will try and call tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere with the local people.

Check out the vehicle app. link on the LR160 thread. It'll pop out a list of alt. and starters for that spec. vehicle then will list all of the rebuild parts, w/ #s for the component. I was surprised to find such depth in an online catalog.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

How about some pics?

Alternator parts:

Stator, Rectifier and Regulator:

Potting around the resistors (?) looks pretty bad, so I"ll replace the rectifier, but am going to keep the regulator.

Bad pic of the brushes:

Not too bad, still have some life left.

Vacuum pump:

I think I'll replace those o-rings and clean it up. Lube with vaseline upon reassembly like and oil pump?
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Don't need to pack the vac pump, it only moves air and does not need priming.
goglio704

Re: A Good Weekend for the Old Max!

Post by goglio704 »

83_maxima wrote:I was able to make some time for the wagon this weekend and ended up replacing the AEM "gasser" strater with the OEM unit from my parts car. Also got the old alternator out for a rebuild and used the smaller, rebuilt unit out of my parts car for a temporary unit.

I was also able to attack the glow plug system and managed to get the factory system re-instated so bye-bye doorbell button. :D
How's the starting now? Cranking speed should be much faster.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

goglio704 wrote:
83_maxima wrote:I was able to make some time for the wagon this weekend and ended up replacing the AEM "gasser" strater with the OEM unit from my parts car. Also got the old alternator out for a rebuild and used the smaller, rebuilt unit out of my parts car for a temporary unit.

How's the starting now? Cranking speed should be much faster.
A thousand times better.

Spins much quicker than before - bap, bap, bap opposed to whirr, whirr, whirr. :)

It is also very nice to not have to guesstimate the amount of glow time and it starts right up. I think I'm really going to enjoy this come winter.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

83_maxima wrote:I think I'm really going to enjoy this come winter.
I've always found it gratifying to start a diesel without drama in conditions where gassers are having trouble. My personal best was a GM 5.7 diesel at -8F with no ether, no block heater, and 30W oil. I'm still proud of that. :wink: :D
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

asavage wrote: What is your source for the diode assy (if I haven't already listed it in the LR160 thread)? IIRC, NAPA sells it but for quite a bit more than the Rexco unit (and the Rexco is now Transpo for that diode). Transpo can be had "anywhere".
Napa wants $95.00 for the rectifier.

Where is "everywhere" Al? Not many re-sellers of auto electric parts around, just rebuilders.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Sorry, Ben, I read the other thread and responded there before seeing this ;(

Transpo is available from two distributors in Port Townsend (AKA "the Sticks") so I automatically assume you more cosmopolitan folks can gets yours too.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

goglio704 wrote:I've always found it gratifying to start a diesel without drama in conditions where gassers are having trouble. My personal best was a GM 5.7 diesel at -8F with no ether, no block heater, and 30W oil. I'm still proud of that. :wink: :D
I had a olds 350 in a brougham, it does start easy for a diesel, some people say its a big failure of an engine, it lasted a while with me, I just blew head gaskets, but I did drive that car pretty hard, mostly heavy traffic New York City driving and there was alot of hammer down time :lol:

I think its a great motor, it pushed a 4000 lb car and got in the 20 mpg driving it hard, and still had enough power to do tire chriping!

227K SOLD 6/7/2012