Rear axle ratios

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Rear axle ratios

Post by asavage »

Interesting tidbits from the Parts Catalog, on the solid rear axle ratios (ie wagons):

Wagon, MT (gasser assumed) = 3.545:1
Wagon, AT (gasser) = 3.545:1 (through 6-82)
Wagon, AT (gasser) = 3.700:1 (7-82 on)
Wagon, AT (LD28) = 3.364:1 (through 6-82)
Wagon, AT (LD28) = 3.700:1 (7-82 on)

So . . . the '81-2 diesel wagon had taller gearing than the gasser (LD28=3.36, L24e = 3.55).

The '83 diesel & gasser wagons have the same gearing (3.7). But they also have OD.

Interesting, no?

So, the quiet/high MPG setup for an '83 would be the ring/pinion from an '81-2. Can't swap the whole rear end, because '83 has the four-link coil spring suspension in back. And adding OD to your '82 would get even lower highway RPM than a stock '83.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

So, the quiet/high MPG setup for an '83 would be the ring/pinion from an '81-2. And adding OD to your '82 would get even lower highway RPM than a stock '83.
Keeping in mind the frailness (decending potential mileage life expectancy) of the bearings in the five speed that you wrote about on another post reminds me of the frailness of the Auto OD that the Maxi's have turned out to be. As I listed in another post how I have a 82 Maxi 5spd that had a 3.55 rear but had to be changed out anyhow, I opted for the 3.36 rear (from a 82 auto). After your other post, I recognize the life of the bearings in the 5spd are compromised, but In the same vein of thought installing a 83 auto OD in front of a 3.36 rear (82 auto) is an even greater abuse on a transmission of marginal engineering quality.

These differential ratios can also be found in the FSM, but would need to be referenced in the 82 & 83 books seperately. (to get the full picture)

Another comparison comes to mind that anyone that has ridden a 10 spd or greater bike has probably come to a stop in high gear by accident and tried to start off in one of those high gears. Also there is a certain RPM (different for each person) that feels comfortable to peddle, too fast and one gets worn out, too slow and the effort is too great. The same thing with a car or truck engine. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here) Anyhow there is only one kind of engine that will tolerate low rpm... and that is a steam engine. It has that rare quality of having 100% power at zero RPM.

My point being that without a Turbo, our little 80HP Maxi diesels are going to have a sweet spot barely over what a 83 auto OD is geared at for the strength of the trans. It is about like using ether, use at your own risk, and if anyone burns up their newly installed OD trans..don't cry in your soup....You Have Been Warned. (not directed at any one person...just everybody)
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I put a gasser's 5-spd guts into the SD's trans case to "repair" the pictured trans in that thread. I can't see why one couldn't do the same for a Maxima. Actually, I think that the gasser's trans may bolt right up, being as the L24e and LD28 seem to share a common bellhousing pattern.

That isn't the case with the 720, in which the Z2x has the starter on the right, the SD on the left. But all the guts just swapped right in.

Sure, the ratios (gasser vs diesel) have minor differences, but in the case of my 720 it hardly seemed to matter.

Knowing what I do now, I recommend using only full-synthetic gear oil in the FW5S71B, and limiting OCI to maybe 30k or so. The OEM magnetic drain plug will tell the story.

I admit that I use synthetic oil in everything, but in the case of the Nissan RWD 5-spd, it seems prudent to push synth lube even harder.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
ChrisQ

Post by ChrisQ »

I believe that the factory engineered the maximas powertrain to get the best fuel economy at 55 mph seeing how that was the speed limit at the time.
Now that the speed limit is 70 it seems to be more than likely that those of us who do a lot of freeway driving could benefit from a gear change.

I do believe that if the speed limit had of been 70 back then, the engineers would have geared the car accordingly!

As you may have guessed i do a lot of freeway driving.

ChrisQ
2 1982 maximas. One is a nice driver.
other is for converting jeep camanche pickup to diesel!
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

one of the comments at the release of the bluebird-maxima was that the cars was aerodynamically tested up to 80km/h.and this wasnt suited to heavy duty bluebird use is some markets

several magazine articals of the time point out wind noise and vibrations and when racing there was structural problems with the front doors.

australian models had 14 and 15 inch wheel option over the japanese 13 inch,close ratio 5 speed box and electric radiator fans to reduce noise..the diff ratio was to suit australian buyers that run in top gear at low speeds.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.