Ronald's 1982 LD28, 5 Speed Manual Sedan

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Syra

Ronald's 1982 LD28, 5 Speed Manual Sedan

Post by Syra »

Alright, try not to laugh as my rig is currently in shabby condition. It still runs, that I'm positive, but it will need another alternator and starter before that is going to happen. The car has been sitting for a while and is currently home to a cat. I'm posting these so that you guys can give me an idea of what to do as far as getting specific parts or fixes for some of these problems...

A shot of the engine.Make note of two things here, I had to replace the positive cable as it had corroded and was not allowing the starter to function properly at the time. Another thing to notice is the little red wire going from behind the battery to the drivers side. Some electrical modification was done, and for what reason I am unsure but that little wire is necessary for starting and stopping the engine..

And another...

Is the engine supposed to be that oily and black?

It's a brownie, but one day it will be a glossy black and AHAHA! I have the original wheels! Now to the lame part: The passenger from door I believe is miss aligned and doesn't allow the door to properly close and it won't open fully as you can see what has happened to the body. A small missing window which the neighbor's cat calls the entrance to his home (grr) and some kind of terrible looking paint work on the body. What has this car been through I ponder...

Better shot of rear passenger side uglyness. I am also missing the trim above the wheel well.

Zoomed in ugliness...

First really funny shot. Note how the car is at an angle. Features terrible interior, trunk that doesn't close and electric antenna that does nothing. Later I looked at it again and some how the trunk latch hook got bent. I can fix that pretty easily.

Second funny shot. Poor car will need new tires all around, but first I am going to purchase some old used tires until I have the alignment checked. Drivers side door miss aligned...

A view of the cockpit. Remember the little red wire I pointed out earlier? I have to plug that into the little wire harness thingy hanging on the left to get engine to start or die. The car light switch on the steering wheel doesn't lock into position anymore so it was something that never allowed me to even think about attempting to drive at night. The radio works on occasion, I think there might be a loose wire. I remember the heater working but not the A/C. I think there were two reasons, first no refridgerant and no belt to the A/C pump. I am missing the center console and the key cylinder sticks, in effect destroying starter motors...

I'm missing the glove compartment door, which seems to have been attacked at some point in time...

A better shot of the wire and the terrible interior...

A shot of the broken seat clamp. I don't believe the trunk opener works, but I know the fuel tank one does.

The door that does not close, is missing some small parts, has that crack that will need to be reinforced like you said before in a previous posting and is a friend of the wire...

A look at the cat's nest...

More Nestisness...

Frontal assault. I have the hood ornament! Yay! I didn't want it to get stolen, so I took it off. The wipers don't work because of this little plastic thingy that doesn't allow the mechanism to stay connected because its broken, but the wiper motor still works fine...

<------------------------------------------------->
In conclusion, that is my rig of death. It will require much TLC to make it a liveable vehicle but I can do it. I think one of the first things I will need is a parts car of some sort because it's obvious many little part will need replacement and I haven't even gotten around to having the chassis itself looked at. That's why I'm curious about part cross compatability between all the earlier Maximas (80-84 is it?). If so, then finding a suitable parts car will be a little less difficult. All in all I'm very optimistic about this vehicle, it is still reliable when it's running. So Any suggestions or ideas, commentary or what not would be greatly be appreciated. If any body has some specific parts to offer me that would also be greatly appreciated, such as the small window...

Thanks all!
Ronald D.

8)
My rig is a 1982 Nissam-Datsun 810 diesel, sedan, 5 speed manual.

I am what I wish to be, my will is what directs me...
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

First, the interiour stuff is all interchangeable except the instrument cluster.

Too bad I didn't know all this three weeks ago: I could have gotten a cheap window for nearly nothing and the armrest, and the glovebox, probably all for under $20, but that car's been crushed by now. It didn't have the wheel arch trim. It had the console stuff for the tape deck too. I may be able to get the tape deck from the '82 Wagon if it's still there, and if you're interested . . . but probably not.

The extra wire: check out this post on this topic. Likely the same problem Caxambu & I have had. There's also an extra relay mounted above the fuel filter, possibly for a bypass of the glow plug system controller, I can't see the wiring there well enough to guess.

On the Ign switch: I've got a complete, working assy with two new keys that I'd sell. Switch plus the mechanical key unit, entire. I pulled it off the '82 Wagon at the JY a month ago.

I've got your seat tracks in a box with your name on it, just need your address to ship.

Are you certain yours is an '82? The trunk trim looks like 1981.

Alternator: I've got a good used spare but I don't really want to part with it. They come up on eBay every so often in the $60 range. They can also be rebuilt. Are you sure yours is bad? The brushes can be replaced without removing the alternator, though you do have to solder the new brushes to the old holders. Worst case, I can rebuild them, I've done a couple of the Nissan diesel alternators.

Starter: one's on eBay right now, at about $35 . . . nope, it sold for $62 a while ago, never mind.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Hey Ronald
Not that bad, just needs a little cleaning, fixing and some replacement parts. Be sure and think about getting the FSM if you haven't already, it'll help a lot with your rewiring situation.

First thing I'd do is give the cat an eviction notice.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

You might not need seat tracks . . . those are grey seats in a brown interiour, so it might just not be bolted down.

Evict the cat?? You cruel, heartless bastard, Steve.

Maybe Ron's cat in his '82 Sedan can get together with my mice in my '82 Wagon :!:

Ron, your rig really doesn't look too bad, just used. If the rust situation is good, you've got a good candidate there. One good JY car to furnish about $200 worth, and you're good to go.

Too bad the "So few bullets . . . " bumper sticker is bad :P

The bumpers look in good shape, which is not all that common, you've got the factory alloy rims which are worth $100 any day of the week (though two caps are missing). The biggest plus is the 5-spd trans, which is fairly rare in the Maximas.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Paint it black, like I did, I think it looks great

I have 2 or 3 wheel trims laying around somewhere in my garage, if one is the passenger rear, i could give it to u if u cover shipping. I pulled the trim from my car, i think it makes the car look more "sleek" I guess it matches with the sleekness of the macco black.

Im surprised you dont have rust on the rocker panels and no holes around that trim above the rear bumper, im pretty sure the chassis is going to be pretty rust free.

Is the engine painted black, or its leaking a whole lot of oil out of that head gasket?

Mabye I should sick the mice in my garage on your cat, theyll get rid of it alright :wink:

good luck on fixin her up
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
Carimbo

Re: Ronald's 1982 LD28, 5 Speed Manual Sedan

Post by Carimbo »

Syra wrote: Is the engine supposed to be that oily and black?
Hard to tell from the foto but it might just be valve cover needs tightned down or new valve cover gasket.

Think twice about evicting the cat-- it may be keeping the mice out!

Dont spend the money to align it until after you get your good tires on it. And after any suspension bits you might be replacing.

The cosmetic stuff does not look too difficult. Looks like an elbowgrease cleanup session will make it much more presentable.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Ron, your Sedan easily looks as good as my '82 Wagon!
Regards,
Al S.

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

mice are the devil- the mice that took up residence in my garage ate all the rubber coating off my pliers! :x also they ate a hole in my dryer duct
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:Evict the cat?? You cruel, heartless bastard, Steve.

Maybe Ron's cat in his '82 Sedan can get together with my mice in my '82 Wagon :!:
Ok, the cat can stay, as long as it's keeping the mice out. If it starts using the floor as a litter box that's where I draw the line! :D

steve a

zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Ron, I've got a pair of very good brown front seats, yours for the taking. See this post for details.

I wish that I'd remembered about your needing a driver's side armrest, that car has perfect ones. Call me at 360.301.9114 fairly soon and I may be able to snag it -- it's two hours away from me, but I may be going out that way again this afternoon (ie email won't work).
Regards,
Al S.

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

I wonder if this ever got sold? I'm feeling kind of "5-speedish" tonight. :)

steve a

zim - silence!